Out bumming a Scheels on Saturday - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 09-22-2014, 04:13 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Out bumming a Scheels on Saturday

Stopped in at Scheels outdoor store last Saturday and they have their Deer hunting specials out. I think it was 449.xx for a Remington 700 ADL including a scope. The scope and mounts were junk but the rifle was a solid buy for that price. I could live without the dropping floor plate at that price.

Let's see a loaner rifle in case someone needs to borrow one-

449 Rifle in 308
175 Scope Redfield 2x7 revolution
75 Leupold bases and rings

Total 699 for a 449 rifle after upgrades...

Now if I can just figure out what to sell.......

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 10:08 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
Now if I can just figure out what to sell.......
Nice score. My gunsafe seems to have only a one-way door. Things enter to be used and enjoyed, but never leave. I have sold off a few pieces in my time, but since I do a very rigorous search before I buy, there aren't many purchases that aren't keepers.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:28 AM
B&C 140 Class

I found myself looking for a low $$ loaner as well recently. I was checking the online prices of the Ruger American and a few other rifles and had found NIB examples as low as $279 and was about ready to make the plunge. I already had a couple of inexpensive scopes lying around, including an older Japan Tasco World Class in 2.5-10x42 to top it with.

Well, I got lucky and spotted a used rifle online for a good price. Entry level Remington M710 in .270 scoped. BUT, the scope happened to be a Leupold, described as a Vari-XII 3-9x40. The rifle was claimed to be in excellent condition and priced, with scope, for $280 delivered. I jumped on it and it was at the LGS within 5 days. Whe I went to pick it up, I gave the rifle the "once over" and it indeed was in excellent shape. However, it was not topped with a Leupold Vari-XII 3-9x40, but rather with a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 !! A newer, more expensive model that last sold for $300. typical retail.

Yes, I was happy with the purchase and have removed the Leupold and replaced it with the Tasco "loaner" scope to go with the loaner rifle. The nice Leupold made it on top of a M77 SS Hawkeye with walnut stock in .338 Fed.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:25 PM

Nice & congrats

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 09-23-2014, 06:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default I have to be honest, I didn't bring it home

No I didn't bring this one home yet. I did go through the motions of figuring out what it was going to cost to be woods ready.... I am having seperation issues with selling other firearms to create a cash stash......

Pistols are easier to say goodbye to, rifles become part of the family after a hunting trip.

Karl
Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 PM

as with most of you I too have rifles that will never be sold, in fact the kids have their special ones reserved. There are always trading fodder that are purchased just for up-trading purposes. I seem to collect ones that don't get fired or are un-fired when I purchased them, why, I don't have a good answer except I enjoy firearms as one would a stamp collection or car collection. Other than newer BP rifles most of my purchases are prime condition older stuff. New stuff has little appeal to me simply due to overseas cost reduction resulting in cookie cutters that generates a very un-appealing product something that the old Winchester 70's and Remington 700's avoided. Let me find a prime condition Savage 99 model R, EG, in a rare caliber and I'm hooked on the purchase. When the new stuff sells for 2-4 times what they sold for, 20 years from now, maybe then they will merit better reviews, unfortunately, I won't be able to write them. Hand guns have little appeal to me, they provide a limited function like a special tool used for that one project and then put away. I tend to shoot less the older I get and with the loss of some good hunting buddies makes for less enjoyment shooting not to mention the cost of today's ammo. Wow, I seem to ramble on too..........
Old 09-25-2014, 10:46 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Let me find a prime condition Savage 99 model R, EG, in a rare caliber and I'm hooked on the purchase.
Same reason I have a soft spot for vintage rimfire rifles. The ones that have barrels that don't flex like linguini or need the barrel replaced with an upgrade right off the bat when you buy it. Better to have too many of the good, old ones.