Deer Hunting Forums banner

new to Rifle Hunting

7K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Karl.Luhr 
#1 ·
I am new to rifle hunting and recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS 300 Win. Mag. (I know its a big Cal.). my goal is to have a solid all around hunting rifle (deer, boar and black bear and if the opportunity presents Elk).

My frustration is choosing the right scope, There are so many out there. I have been told to get a scope that will take the recoil of the rifle, One that has a min. of 30 mm tube with a 50 mm lens, gas filled.

I have been looking at the Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50 side focus BDC and the Leopold VX-R 12X50 and Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP. I feel like I am all over the place and getting more frustrated. My goal is to HUNT not Target shoot. I figure the majority of my shots will be in the 100 - 300 yard range.

I know in the end it comes down to what I like best bet any and all helpful input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
HuntingRookie all three of those are great manufactures
I would not buy any of those without looking through them & feeling them
Nikon is famous for their lenses very clear also Check what the warranty is for each I have heard Vortex has a great warranty & no hassle Customer Service.
Unfortunatly I can't offer any more advice as I buy cheap scopes here in NH 100 yards is a long shot most are 75 yards or less I have enjoyed bowhunting more & more I hardly take out the rifles anymore
I don't think you will go wrong with either of the choices
I have always been a fan of Nikon only cameras I will buy
My father purchased a Nikon scope a year or 2 ago cant remember if it was the Monarch or the Prostaff but he loves it

#3 ·
I too would not purchase any of those scopes. First off the 300 win has enough kick that I want my cheek firmly on the stock. The 50mm lens require high rings which forces me to raise my head off the stock too much setting up an unnatural shooting position for me. I like low rings and anything out to 300 yds can be taken with 3x9x40 scopes. I might look at 42mm lens but that would be my max. Leupold, Nikon, Burris, Redfield (made by Leupold last I heard) would be fine for most hunters. Unless one was into the 400-600 yd select group of modern hunters going up to the 18X50 scopes should never be necessary. It's good to take your time setting up your rifle, do it right and you'll never regret it. Buy the best glass you can afford, that's my advice.

#4 ·
First off, you've gotten some solid advice thus far. I have owned a good number of scopes over the years and still own a bunch. In my cabinets at this time are lots of Leupolds (several different models) and also several Nikon Monarchs. Although I've never owned a Vortex, I have read many good things about them. One comment I will make about some Vortex scopes is on ones I've studied, many do not have the eye relief numbers I look for, especially when scoping a rifle with significant recoil. It's my opinion, a .300 mag qualifies as significant recoil (I own three .300 mags at this time). Personally I'd want a scope with near 4" of eye relief minimum. I'd likely not go with one with under 4", but that's me. YMMV. You will understand the reasoning behind that should you purchase a scope with short eye relief.

I believe your well meaning Buddies has steered you a bit in the wrong direction as to how much magnification you need on a rifle like the one you purchased. You're not target shooting @ 500-1,000 yards and I see no reason to have a scope, used for hunting big game, of over 7-10X max. I also see no need for a 50mm objective either. An objective that large is only helpful in shooting in very low light at very high magnifications. At typical hunting ranges a 32, 33, 40 or 42mm objective on a quality scope will give you plenty of light at powers up to 5, 6 or 7X.

My suggestions to you would be a couple of different scopes, then seeing which suits your needs and pocketbook. First I'd highly recommend either a 2-7x33 or 3-9x40 VX-R with Firedot Duplex reticle. I own two VX-Rs and they are nothing short of awesome in low light for hunting. I'd also suggest Nikon Monarchs in 2-8x32 and 2.5-10x42 and Leupold VX3s in 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x. I can assure you that 7, 8, 9 or 10 power on the top end is plenty to shoot to 300 yards plus on deer sized and bigger game. Honestly, until you have some experience under your belt, shooting at game at ranges over 200 yards is likely not a good thing.

These scopes will cost you from $300-$500 or thereabouts. I'd also suggest you stay away from anything but a straight duplex or firedot duplex reticle as the additional aiming points in "BDC" type scopes can be quite confusing for a new hunter and that confusion could also occur at exactly the wrong time as well. A very good Buddy of mine missed a huge Whitetail buck about 4 years ago when he used the wrong reference "dot" in his scope to shoot at it at about 150 yards on opening day. Result was a clean miss, over it's back!

In closing it might be interesting to note that a fella named Jack O'Connor (you may have heard of him!) used a straight 4X scope for most all his big game hunting, even at extended distances. He only replaced it with 2, 2.5X or 3X scopes as he saw fit when shorter ranges were expected. :yes:

Any of the scopes I've mentioned would serve you well and will also remain a quality aiming system for many years to come for you. Good Luck!!

#6 ·
Talkin scopes is like talkin calibers, rifles and bullets. Everyone has their favorites and most have some things they've had bad experiences with or read/heard about bad experiences. I've owned a good number of scopes and do have some opinions, firm in some ways and flexible in others.

A lot about scopes and scope quality has to do with the $$ one is gonna spend. If you have $50 and think a Simmons on sale would be a great buy, that's one case. If you bought a rifle for a grand and now have decided to spend up to 1/2 that to put a nice scope on top, you shouldn't oughtta be going anywhere near any Simmons products! :bag:

I now own more Leupold scopes than any other single brand; I'd figure over 20 right now. They are good scopes, well made and durable. It's difficult for me to think of a time when a Leupold might be a "bad" choice for someone... They make a lot of models and have prices ranging from about two Benjamins to well over a K. They are not all the same quality, trust me.

I will say this much, however. If there is a Leupold model in the size & price range I'm looking in, I'm going to seriously consider it. But in some price ranges, I also know there are other makers that seem to be as good quality as a Leupold and I might buy one of them as well. In prices of about $200., I like Burris FFII as well as a Leupold VX1. In prices to $300, I also like Nikon Monarch. Up to $400., I like Leupold & Zeiss. Up to $500, I'll say Leupold, Zeiss and Minox. Over $500? Those scopes are for other shooters, because Leupold, Zeiss and Minox fill all my needs. If I was to ever go to 1K, it would be for a Swarovski 3-9x36.

Leupold might not always be the absolute BEST choice, but it is NEVER a bad choice either!! :yes:

#7 ·
Some excellent information

Some great information being passed on to you. I also hunt big country with a .300 Win and like having a 3-12 or 2.5-10 scope. My longest shot with my .300 Win was on a KS doe just 2 years are, 596 yards. Droped her in her tracks and then another doe walked out in the same spot and it was a 2 in the freezer, but believe me, if condition's were not absolutely perfect and I hadn't practiced at that distance I would never have taken the shot. Because I do some freelance PR Event's for Nikon I get a lot of opportunity to train folks on using Nikon's BDC reticle for longrange shots and that is exactly what I used on the above day. I am obviously a big fan of Nikon's MONARCH 3 Scope's and BDC reticle which when combined with Spot On let's you dial in your rifle,scope and ammo for accurate longrange shooting.
I know the above situation was not normal for my hunting style, in 40 years of hunting that was my longest shot at game. I have absolutely had other opportunities but because the situation was not to my liking I didn't take the shots. If you like a lot of magnification the MONARCH 3 4-16 will get you up close, but for 300 yards you can certainly get by using less magnnification.
I do not do any sales for Nikon and again, only do indirect freelance work for them so I have nothing at stake telling you about their optic's. I do know the scope's I described as wellas the 4-16 are on sale right now if that help's you make up your mind? I know most of my buying decision's are based more on what I can spend then what I want. Drop me a note if you have any question's on the scope's or using Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program.

Here's a pic of my T/C .300 Win with Nikon 2.5-10 BDC scope.

#8 ·
Karl's opinion, yea we all have one....

Congradulations on your new rifle. Remingtons M700 SPS are good solid rifles, it will last you a lifetime. Just don't be supprised when you buy another rifle in a few years, it happened to all of us.

1. You need to scrape together at least 150-200 dollars for a good quality scope.

A good example is the Revolution line in the new Redfields. A 2x7 or 3x9 is all you need and they are made by Leupold with a lifetime warrentee. I have placed a Revolution 2x7 on a Marlin XL7 and it was very nice. The scope is fairly short and the same scope in 3x9 is longer for more options on ring spacing. Do not look at the Revenge scope by Redfield, that is not the same quality as the Revolution line. Nikon makes quality scopes at the same price point. Don't spend your money on reticles, spend it on a better scope. Nikon makes many different lines if it is around 150-200 dollars in the power range you are looking for it will be fine. Scopes are one area where you do get what you pay for.

2. 400-500 dollars- I have two Leupold VX-III scopes, a 1.5x5 and a 2.5x8. Both are outstanding and are better then the Redfield Revolutions but you are paying for the extra quality. I would love to own a Zeiss Conquest line scope at this price point. The new Zeiss Terras are a step down from the Conquest series. You save 100 dollars on the Terras and it drops you into the 300-400 dollar range.

3. Swarovski and the higher end Leupolds- The sky is the limit on what you end up paying for the top line scopes. I just remember you are shooting a 400 dollar rifle, why stick a 800 dollar scope on it.

There is a big difference between a 75 dollar scope and a 150-200 dollar one. There is less difference between 150-200 and the 400-500 dollar ones. Even less between the 400-500 and 600-800 dollar ones.

4. I recommend that you stay in the 2.5x8, 3x9, or 3.5x10 range. You really should not think about shooting over 200 yards at an animal. They deserve to die clean and quick. Spend time at a range until you are very comfortable with your rifle system. I would be talking to people you know about getting some reduced power loads for your magnum. It is easy to download a magnum to 30-06 ballistics and not have to live with the recoil.

Let us know what you decide on for a scope, and how it works for you.

Karl

#9 ·
Thank you all for all your experience and helpful knowledge, I have been doing alot of reading up on all the scopes recommended and I think I have narrowed my selection down to 2 scopes that will fit the hunting style I am hoping to achieve, Leupoldes VX-R 3-9 x40 Firedot Duplex and Nikons Monarch 2.5-10 x 42 DBC. I know there is about 200.00 dollars difference but I am okay with that...lol

The next thing is to lay hands on them and see which one fits better. I have to admit there is alot more to buying a hunting rifle & scope than I had Imagined.

#11 ·
**Update** I have settled on a scope, after spending some time comparing the 2 scopes twisting nobs and looking at a object at 104 yards I decided on the Nikon Monarch 3, 2.5-10x42 I was surprised at the clarity of the optics over the Leopold VX-R, I was really thinking the Leopold would be hands down the choice but I was surprised. hoping to have it mounted and bore sighted later this afternoon (excited).

Will post up a photo of the rifle later this afternoon.:pickle::pickle:

Next will be looking into ammo....I know this will be just as interesting as choosing a scope. Winchester X Vs Federal Gold Metal Match or Speer Gameking SBT Vs Fusion/ 150 grain Vs 180 grain ect ....lol

#12 ·
Congrats on the Scope
best advice on ammo I can give is expensive shoot the ones you want & see what shoots best out of it
I have found that the Fusions shoot the best out of my Rugers without having to buy a $40+ box of ammo
with that said you cant go wrong with Hornady either but more mioney

#14 ·
Looking at both scopes on Midway's site, the difference is $20. with the Leupold being higher at $499. The thing I like about the VX-R is it's outstanding low light performance with it's lighted reticle. No flies on a Nikon Monarch; I own several and they are excellent quality scopes, just not as good in really low light (I also hunt hogs at 2-4 hours after SS)

#19 ·
I suggestion on your Nikon Scope cap

I also have a Nikon African scope (1x4) it is wonderful, with a long slender tube and no big objective for easy scope mounting. The problem with it and I think that you now have is Nikon's decoration on the windage cap. You have a low lustre rifle that is all business. A glowing windage cap is not what you want in the Deer woods. I haven't got around to ordering out a replacement cap, but the current one has black electrical tape over the water buffalow on it.

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.