Deer Hunting Forums banner

Remington 700 BDL good deal?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
G
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Remington 700 bdl .270 with a Leopoldo vari x iii 3.5-10x50 it's my first deer rifle outside of hand me downs from my father. Any input? Good deal? Best ammo

#2 ·
Great choices....

The Remington 700 is a quality rifle you picked well. The Leupold VXIII is a very good one. The 270 Win is second in popularity only to the 30-06. I haven't owned one but they perform best with bullets in the 130-150gr range. I would buy several different bullet weights in the same Manufacturer and shoot them to see what weight your rifle likes the most. As has been said in other posts the new Federal Fusion loads are worthy of a try in your rifle. A guy that shot his 270 really well once told me that the 130gr is all you ever need for the 270. I personally would still test the other bullet weights to see how they perform. If I were going after Elk with a 270 Win I would be hopeing that the rifle liked 150gr Nosler Partitions.

Let us know how it performs...

Karl

#3 ·
Great choices....

The rifle and scope choice are top notch. Most people agree that the 270Win is designed for 130-150gr bullets. I would give Remington core locks and the new Federal Fusion loads a try. For Deer I would be thinking 130 or 140gr, for Elk I would be looking at 150gr loads.

Karl

#6 ·
hard to gage the deal without a purchased price listed. I am a big fan of Remington 700 models especially older models. You can't go wrong with a Leupold vxlll as these are very good quality glass for the money. In 270 win cal I like the 130 gr for deer and 140 gr for elk in Remington ammo loaded with Swift A frames, premium line from them. Anything loaded with Nosler bullets would be great also. The 270 win is still a near perfect bullet for 90% of game pursued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.