Laser Boresighters - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 07-30-2014, 02:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Laser Boresighters

Has anyone had any luck with laser bore-sighters? I have several types: I have the ones that go into the chamber as a cartridge would; I have one that has a long tube that slides into the bore with different fittings to make it stable; and I have a magnetic one that sticks on the end of the rifle muzzle. Call me a skeptic, but I keep trying.

Trouble is, none of them seem good enough to use without firing final-sight-in at the range anyway. Even if I use them at 100 yards, firing two or three sighters for a group will show the group to be 2 ~ 3 inches off point of aim still. Then I end up sighting-in the old fashioned way anyway! Maybe good enough for an 8" center-of-mass killshot, but I like my bullets to hit where the crosshairs are. Seems to me that I can get just as close using the old fashioned method of looking down the bore to rough sight-in at 25 yards, then moving out to 100 yards for final adjustments. I end up using the same amount of ammo to sight-in no matter which method or which boresighter I use.

Am I expecting too much?

Who likes theirs and which brand/type is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 03:15 PM

all the years of hunting and scope installations I've never owned a bore sighter. I guess I'm old school and just range shoot them in, usually under 10 shots.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:11 AM

I think most or all bore sighting tools are capable of getting the sight in process started but sighting in at a range is still always necessary.
When mounting a scope a lot of people ignore lapping the scope rings but I think lapping the rings is equally important as sighting in. Good luck

Old 08-01-2014, 06:10 AM

I have one laser one scope style that were given to me as presents. I do use them but I never had one perfect. They will get you on paper but I don't think you should ever trust any boresighter need to do some shooting to dial it in

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 AM
B&C 140 Class

its just as easy to pull the bolt look down barrel, adjust scope until you see same pic down barrel as in scope. reinstall bolt and shoot 25yds. at 25yds u should be hitting perfect. move out to 100yds abd should be 1" high. adjust left and right as needed. DONE when I sited in my Abolt with Nikon scope it took 3rds
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default What about other rifles?

Of course you can bore sight any bolt action rifle once you remove the bolt. How about a semi-auto, pump, or even a lever gun? I've owned an used a collimator (like the one shown below) for somewhere over 20 years now. It has multiple arbors that slide into the barrel and then allow you to see the crosshairs against a grid in the instrument.

Bottom line is that it works and works very well. First shot on paper @ 50 yards and after that, it's up to the individual's skill level as to how long it will take that rifle to be "hunt ready". I'll say this, any rifle "sighted in completely with 3 shots" is not going hunting with me, period. This instrument can also be used when replacing a scope on a rifle already sighted in.

Insert the device, note where the "sighted" scope's crosshairs show on the grid and make note. Leave the collimator in the barrel, remove the old scope, replace with the new scope and set it's crosshairs to exactly the same position on the grid. I've used this instrument to bore sight somewhere north of 150 rifles/scopes since I have owned it. And it works! It works so well that I never utilize the old sight through the barrel and match to scope on any bolt rifles anymore as this is better. I wouldn't even think about removing a Marlin's bolt, as it works way better, way faster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg st_collimator_200904-a.jpg (7.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 AM
B&C 140 Class

Thanks Turner. I have a collimator also, but never understood it completely. It may be useful for left-right adjustments, but that's assuming that it is exactly perpendicular with the bore-scope-rifle. How do you know which part of the grid to align it to?

As for the others, I stated that I already do the sight-down-the-bore trick and have been doing that for 30-some years. This thread is about trying some of the laser boresighters since you can pick them up cheap. Not all folks read the OP before they reply. Even with any kind of sight-in trick I'd say I usually expend at least a dozen rounds shooting 3-shot groups to make sure that I'm sighted in. That's 4 3-shots groups, since you never adjust off a single shot but the center of a group.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:40 PM

Contribution on any given topic should be appreciated simply for the value of conversation, let the reader extract what is important and what is not. HM
Old 08-10-2014, 12:16 AM
B&C 140 Class

I use both a laser bore sighter and a colminator. ARs I use the laser or if I am zeroing for a customer, pull the upper , remove the bolt, sand bag upper and bore sight through the bore. If just at the shop , then a laser bore sight is used. I do not have the extension piece for my colminator, and most optics mounted on ARs sit up to high. Just about everything else the colminator come out. lol