Most accurate .308 bullets - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Most accurate .308 bullets

I'm looking for the most accurate bullet for my winchester model 70 .308 (pre 64) Thanks for y'all's responses

Last edited by Amares90; 06-03-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM
B&C 120 Class

Factory or handloads?

Since that rifle isn't exactly a match rifle, I assume you are not looking for target/match-quality but actually want hunting bullets. Then the question is really, what's the most accurate bullet for a given load in your rifle. And only bench time can figure that out. The collective masses here and I can all tell you our best loads and bullets, but what shoots well in my Ruger M77 may not shoot well in that guy's Ruger M77 even for the same caliber.

Now, to give you somewhere to start, Sierra GameKings have always been noted as being very accurate and a good quality hunting bullet.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:40 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Accurate bullets for a 308 Win

You really have two decisions to make when you are selecting a bullet for loading. First is the Manufacturer/Model, second is what weight for that bullet are you going to use. I beleave that Winchester used a 1 in 12 twist for the older M70s. That twist is best with bullets less then 180gr. You are looking for .308 caliber sugestions, I would suggest either 150gr or my favorite .308 bullet weight 165gr. Just about any bullet will shoot good in your rifle but I personally love the Nosler 165gr Ballistic Tip in my .308 caliber 30-06s. My loads in the 30-06 are on the lower side of the loading range and 308 Win loaded at the top of the scale would be running at about the same speed. You are still going to have to decide on a powder to use, I recommend Win 760 or H414 they are the same powder.

Karl
Old 06-04-2014, 04:26 PM

for hunting, using factory ammo it's pretty easy, pick up a couple boxes in the same gr weight from Win, Rem, Federal, and bench shoot it. The old standard of 1" groups @100 yds is still very good for 90% of all hunters. Using the 3 shot group allowing barrel cooling before changing to another brand should have you pretty satisfied using factory ammo. Re-loading using top shelf brass, powder, and bullets will give you a better range of special loads, however, with today's factory loads using quality materials you may not see a need for investing $'s in the equipment.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Sorry I was thinking reloading not factory ammo....

Huntng Man is correct as always. I would still recommend 150gr or 165gr as your factory bullet weights. Federal Fusion loads are a little more expensive but they perform better on animals than standard loads. I always have had solid performance from Remington Core-locks. On the inside flap of a Factory loaded box of ammo is a lot number. If you grab a couple of boxes of the same ammo from a Company make sure they are the same lot number. Let us know what works best in your rifle, make sure to tell us about the rifle in your review.

Karl