buying a rifle soon - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Scrub Buck

Default buying a rifle soon

hey all.
so this summer when i get some money i plan to buy a new rifle because i will start going deer hunting next season and i want a fun gun to shoot. I really want an ar rifle by the way. ive been told by some that a ar10 .308 would be good for hunting and fun shooting around but the cost of bullets for them is higher than an ar15. the other option ive considered is buying an ar15 .223 for a fun shooting gun and then buy a Remington 770 or any other gun around that price. i dont plan on having to shoot more than 200 yards or so hunting but i wanna be able to go and do long range shooting also. what are yalls thoughts? and also when i plan to go shoot for fun it will be probably around 200 rounds at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default It is hard without knowing your experiance level....

With ammo prices nuts as they are I would make the following sugestions.

1. Start with a 22 rifle, if you like the idea of semi-sutos pick up a Ruger takedown 10/22. Then you can fire a couple of hundred rounds each visit without needing to work a second job.

2. I would recommend not getting a semi-auto AR10 or AR15 for Deer Hunting. These rifles work fine but you will never regret getting a scoped Bolt Action rifle in one of the typical Deer chamberings. A rifle in 7mm-08, 308 Win, 270 Win, or 30-06 will last a lifetime and take any game in America that isn't trying to kill you at the same time. Namely Grizzly or Brown Bears.

These are my ramblings don't be in a hurry, rifles last several lifetimes.

Karl
Old 04-22-2014, 04:14 PM

To me you have a need for two rifles. For the average shooter most rifles will shoot better than the shooter will. I hate to see new hunters buy a junk new low $ rifle when you can find better quality in the used market. As far as an AR model, the trend today is more and more shooters are going that route and for some hefty money too. I bought a H&K ar style 22 just to plink with because of the cost of ammo. I would not rule out a single, pump, lever, or bolt gun for deer hunting, all will work for 90% of your hunting needs. 300 sav,308, 270, 280, 30-06, all are great. Let us know what you purchased.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Unregistered

i have some experience with rifles through scouts and friends but havent been deer hunting right now i only have a shotgun. the main reason i want an ar is for fun shooting because me and my friends shoot alot. but i plan to start deer hunting also. the reason i was looking at doing the cheap bolt is because i am in college and i wont make a whole lot of money this summer and im going to buy a pistol also. but i dont want to do a 22 because they can be hard to find ammo right now and i have ways to buy 500 plus rounds for the ars easily. i will only be going deer hunting maybe 5 times at most this year thats why i wasnt to worried about getting a really nice bolt gun right now. i will be shooting for fun most of the time.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 PM

22 ammo is starting to become available here in Ohio. Last month I purchased over 700 rounds, though not cheap.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Unregistered

ya it is getting more available some what here my buddy bought 1650 rounds through a facebook page but i dont really care for 22s that much and getting that ammo was really sketchy
Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 PM

I have a question, if you are just wanting to shoot, burn up ammo, what is the reason to shoot up more expensive ammo ie 223, vs 22. For someone on a limited budget I would think a cool looking 22 makes a whole lot more sense. I've never been one to burn up a lot of dollars in costly ammo at the range but I guess if I had the resources to shoot up a few hundred rounds on the weekend I might do it. Someday I will add a 223 AR rifle to my collection, I just don't see me burning up ammo in it, not knocking those who can, just seems like an expensive hobby with little return. When I go to the range it's usually a scheduled trip with several rifles to get sighted in, kinda like a job, though I do enjoy shooting. Send us an up-date when you've made your purchase. Look up a H&K MP5 22, that's what I purchased to play with.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
I have a question, if you are just wanting to shoot, burn up ammo, what is the reason to shoot up more expensive ammo ie 223, vs 22. For someone on a limited budget I would think a cool looking 22 makes a whole lot more sense. I've never been one to burn up a lot of dollars in costly ammo at the range but I guess if I had the resources to shoot up a few hundred rounds on the weekend I might do it. Someday I will add a 223 AR rifle to my collection, I just don't see me burning up ammo in it, not knocking those who can, just seems like an expensive hobby with little return. When I go to the range it's usually a scheduled trip with several rifles to get sighted in, kinda like a job, though I do enjoy shooting. Send us an up-date when you've made your purchase. Look up a H&K MP5 22, that's what I purchased to play with.
ive always shot 22s and i jus dont like how they fire and also i would use it for hunting sometimes
Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
ive always shot 22s and i jus dont like how they fire
Don't understand this what was wrong how they fire?
my 10/22 is the most fun gun to shoot have had AR's & sold them now have a Ruger Mini 30 & to go out shooting the 10/22 always gets the most rounds through it just wondering what you don't like about them
HM I have to disagree with part of your statement as not all low priced Rifles are "Junk"
I swear by my daughters Ruger American It is built with the same quality as all other Rugers are minus some features to keep the cost affordable can't speek for other manufacturers economy rifles but I would not call the Ruger American a Junky low$ rifle. I continue to take that American out over the M77 due to the fact it shoots as good or better & the cost is less then half then my M77 was so if it gets beat up I don't care as much will be doing a video on the Ruger American sometime after Turkey season

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright

Last edited by gfdeputy2; 04-23-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Check State Laws for minimum caliber restrictions

In my State of Minnesota and many others there is a minimium caliber restriction for Big Game Hunting(Deer). The ones that I am familar with say it must be atleast 6mm or larger. That leaves out the 223/5.56 standard AR15 chambering for Deer hunting. Some AR Companies do offer their ARs in other calibers like 7.62x39(AK round), or 6.8 Remington. The reason that I recommended a 22 rifle is ammo is still way cheaper than any other. As Hunting Man said 22 rimrfires are offered in AR style platforms, I just find the Ruger 10/22 a bullet proof rifle. When you come across it a brick of 22 ammo either 335 or 500 rounds is around 20-30 dollars sometimes less. You won't find any centerfire pistol or rifle ammo that cheap.

Karl