triple seven pellets - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Scrub Buck

Default triple seven pellets

help----can 50 caliber pellets be used in a 45 caliber in-line rifle ??????
the 50's slide down the 45's barrel and i would think vo;ume is volume,but does anyone out there know for sure that this will work---i have never seen 45 caliber pellets.--reason for question:have always used loose powder in my flintlock but due to all the rain during the last couple of seasons,i will be using a 45 caliber inline a picked up at an estate auction for $40.00---it is a cva mag bolt
any help will be appreciated---thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 PM
B&C 140 Class

Grains are grains.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 PM
ronn

50 grains is 50 grains loose, pellet, or patty.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 AM

like Ronn said 50 is 50. as long as they slide down the barrell easy enough and you dont have to pack them to get them in. You would not want to possibly crush them at times which could throw off where your bullet is normally seated. You should be able to find 45 cal pellets though. I accidently picked a box of them up one time and had to take them back to exchange them for the 50's.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:59 AM
B&C 100 Class

The 50 grain pelets will work in your 45 but I dont think a 50 grain pelet is the same as 50 grains of loose powder. Im no expert but I think that is the way it is.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:37 AM
ronn

which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead? grains is a measurement of weight.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:39 AM
B&C 100 Class

I dont think Im explaining this corectly but doesnt the loose powder burn hotter than pelets. If you can put three 777 pelets in a gun but you should only put around 120 of the loose stuff. Does this make sense?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Berk, I will be watching the responces on this one. I know gr for gr all else being equal, pellets vs loose powder should perform the same (that's the selling point for pellets) and being easier to load. Here's the kicker for me: I get dramically more felt recoil from 100 gr of 2F black powder vs 2- 50 gr pellets, this in the same rifle. I wish I had a cronograph to check fps on each load. I believe loose powder gives greater performance (and chamber pressure) over pellets. If this isn't the case, I would think bullet makers would just make 30-06, 270, ect, with a solid powder propellent inside the case. My son could shoot his Knight using 2 -50 gr pellets all day. Switching to 100 gr pyrodex or black powder and he didn't want to shoot anymore. Somewhere the volume vs grains discussion will arrive. Is two formed 50 grains (by weight) equal to 100 grs of loose powder using a vloume measurement that says 100 grs equivilent. As i said, I really will be interested in the responces. Ronn, your smokeless powder Savage is not included in this thread, wouldn't be fair comparison, that thing is in a class all by itself.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:58 PM
B&C 140 Class

It is a darn good question that I will have to research to answer correctly. I do know exactly who to ask though. Will let you know what answer I get.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 PM
ronn

My understanding is there is a huge difference between black powder and pyrodex or 777 in the loose form. Where as I don't think they make a black powder pellets black powder is by itself. it may also have something to do with the combustion space available. you can compress a loose powder and pellets not so much. I think its the same as the difference in smokeless, ball or extruded powders. Basically I think it all comes down to burn rate, combustion chamber volume, and weight of projectile. I think somewhere on the can of pyrodex it said what to use if you were using X number of grs of black powder. probably of no help huh?