triple seven pellets - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-21-2008, 05:20 PM

pyrodex and true blackpowder are used volume for volume. 90 gr is 90gr measured volume not weighed on a scale. industry has made these nice measured scales that they say equals so many weighted grains. We all use them. So why the big difference in felt recoil between pellets and loose powder? That is the question. I use the same load for pyrodex for the in-line as I do black powder for the flintlock 100 grs. If I use 2 -50 gr pellets it feels like a 50% reduction on recoil. Don't know the answer on this one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 05:33 PM
ronn

I've only used FFF or smokeless. It must come down to the volume of combustion chamber. Does 2 pellets take up more space than 100 gr loose? When you marked your ram rod with the loose is it the same mark as with pellets? Same burn in a tighter space may be the answers. The other thing that could give that feeling is rate of burn. Do the pellets take longer to burn completely as apposed to loose? Its a good question. huh?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:57 PM

Now I wish that I had saved some pellets and could do some measuring, a cronograph would give some of the answers.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:42 AM
B&C 100 Class

I got this from another site.
There is a bit of difference between the pellets and loose powder. Because of the added inert ingredients to form the pellet shape and hold the pellet together, it addes some mass to the overall volumetric charge, which is controlled by purchasing an equivalent powder charge in pellet form.

Loose powder doesn't necessarily have these ingredients, and so have less volumetric mass, which will cause a lower volumetric measurement from larger individual particles (what is used to measure black powder, not a physical weight), so in essense a 2F loose 120gr charge is the equivalent to 150gr volumetric charge in pellet form. As you switch to finer grades of blackpowder (3F, 4F) you are getting more a more dense charge for the volume equivalent, so you'd use less 3F than 2F, and even less 4F over 3F!

FFF t7 is in smaller granules. as a result, more of it fits in a given volume of space. When i set my volumetric measure to 90 g., i get more weight of t7 powder if i fill it up w/ FFF t7, than I would if I filled it up w/ FF t7. So the same volume t7 FFF will give you higher velocity than the same volume t7 FF because there is more powder and less air space w/ FFF. theoretically ....

I wont post the other site unless I get the OK.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 AM
ronn

That sound logical to me. Now that you mention it there was a weight difference in black and t7 when measured out in volume. So if I read that right, its a bigger volume combustion chamber with pellets because of the inert junk in the pellets. Correct?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:56 AM
B&C 100 Class

Beats me I just know how to copy and paste
Old 03-23-2008, 12:06 PM
ronn

hahahahaha
Old 03-23-2008, 01:48 PM

Hey Berk feel free to post that other site. It dont bother me a bit if it helps out our hunters on here. Ya'll are in the middle of a discussion. Any helpful links from you is fine. I just hate the spammers and you adding a link to help a legit discussion is far from spam in my book. Thanks for being considerate to the site though.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 PM
B&C 100 Class

The site is called Modern Muzzeloader but you have to sign up to see the forums. Alot of info though.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 PM

I don't have any pellets left, but i would think that loose powder in 100 grains would actually take up a larger combustion volume space vs two 50 grain compacted pellets. Someone just needs to stack two pellets and create a cylinder equal in diameter to the pellets and pour in 100 grains of powder and compare. My guess is loose powder is faster burning, creates more instant pressure than two pellets, which would be slower, longer control burning with less pressure. This may account for the greater felt recoil with loose powder. We still need an answer to the FPS difference in bullet velocity between loose powder and pellets. If this experiment ends up showing that two 50gr pellets are not the equivilent to 100 grs of loose powder as advertised by the pellet manufactures, maybe we have something to look at. My guess that this has all been worked out we just need the info.