Remington Model 700 and Model 7 Trigger Recall - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Remington Model 700 and Model 7 Trigger Recall

Remington Arms Announces Voluntary Product Recall

FYI, it's a voluntary recall to clean and inspect the triggers. "Senior Remington engineers determined that some Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with XMP triggers could, under certain circumstances, unintentionally discharge."

I don't feel like dismounting my scope, going thru all the shipping, remounting and re-zeroing the scope again. My Model 7 trigger seems just fine. I plan on "clean and inspecting it" myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 01:26 PM

all mine are pre-recall.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

I happen to own a number of M700s and Model Sevens. One seems to be affected. Do I want to send it in for repair? NOPE! But I will say this much, I will not own a rifle with a KNOWN RECALL FOR SAFETY and think about what my heirs or anyone else might experience after my silly reluctance.

Do what you want, mine is gong back FOR FREE and being documented as one that was "fixed". Owning it today is one thing. Selling it, or leaving it to someone in the future as NOT being documented as fixed is quite another.

Just my opinion as an owner of lots of guns.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner View Post
Selling it, or leaving it to someone in the future as NOT being documented as fixed is quite another.
Interesting, but let me ask you this: they put out the product in the first place with an apparent flaw, so what makes you think they are any more qualified than I am to correct it? All they state in the recall is that they will "inspect and clean" the trigger. I can do that, and if it functions safely then there is no such issue. I've built and worked on many firearms in my life.

Since GM knew for 10 years that their cars had faulty ignition switches, are you going to automatically assume that they can fix it with a better switch and that suddenly they are magically transformed into a safe, caring, loving corporation that gets everything right?

All you get with the recall is a piece of paper saying that they fixed it. It may or may not be any safer than it was before. And following the basic rules of gun safety will take you much, much farther than that piece of paper.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:25 AM
B&C 120 Class

Oh, and as a reminder, this is a VOLUNTARY recall by Remington. If they truly thought that these guns were going to be going off hair-triggered willy-nilly, their lawyers would never let them make it a voluntary recall. That means they don't really think there's a problem, but they are covering their bets.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:38 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Recall on my Remington 3200 O/U

Something like 35 years ago I was on the skeet range with my Remington 3200 12ga. When I pulled the trigger on the first bird both barrels went off. I talked to a gunsmith and they said there was recall against that problem. I sent in the shotgun and after the trigger UPGRADE they placed a dot in the frame in front of the trigger. I wasn't real happy to have a dot punched in the frame but I have never had another issue with it doubling. I would check to see if there is a Factory Authorized Repair Center near you. I have one about an hour away and I would now take a Remington there instead of sending in back to the Factory.

Karl
Old 04-19-2014, 01:01 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
I would check to see if there is a Factory Authorized Repair Center near you.
There's nothing in my area that doesn't require an airline flight, or a long marine ferry voyage and drive, or shipping the firearm out. Did anybody actually read the "voluntary" recall notice? They tell you exactly what they are looking for. I can check that myself also. That is why the recall is voluntary.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:55 AM

I've been very lucky over the years, only sent one rifle back to TC to have a re-crown done, no charge! Not sure if I could buy any of the new stuff out there especially what this thread started out as, mid priced offerings.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
Interesting, but let me ask you this: they put out the product in the first place with an apparent flaw, so what makes you think they are any more qualified than I am to correct it? All they state in the recall is that they will "inspect and clean" the trigger. I can do that, and if it functions safely then there is no such issue. I've built and worked on many firearms in my life.

Since GM knew for 10 years that their cars had faulty ignition switches, are you going to automatically assume that they can fix it with a better switch and that suddenly they are magically transformed into a safe, caring, loving corporation that gets everything right?

All you get with the recall is a piece of paper saying that they fixed it. It may or may not be any safer than it was before. And following the basic rules of gun safety will take you much, much farther than that piece of paper.
That's correct; perhaps a piece of paper that then will show you acted in good faith once presented with the fact that your rifle might be defective after being identified by serial #. Do as you please, I can assure you that your decision here means nothing to me. However a more prudent person might take a different slant on knowing that their rifle has been identified with others in having a possible build defect. As for me, I'd be even more disturbed knowing that a non professional decided to do work to the triggger and safety mechanism on a rifle I was interested in.

This recall has nothing to do with safe gun handling, per say. It has to do with a known defect. A defect that might affect the future owner of your Model Seven, say a son, daughter, Grandson, etc.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 AM

I'm not trying to bash Remington or any specific rifle model, I just want to share what I've personally seen.
I don't think Remington will never recall the model 700 (It's their most popular model) that's probably why they refer to it as a "Voluntary" recall.
I personally know of 2 model 700 Remington's (neither had modifications) that discharged while chambering a round, Both rifles had the safety on during each discharge.
One rifle discharged once before going back to Remington the other discharged TWICE (at two different times of course) before going back to Rem.,
all the owners were doing was chambering a round as it happened. Both of those rifles were returned to Remington and Remington replaced (Not Cleaned) the triggers in both of the rifles.
I'm not afraid to say I no longer feel safe around a Remington model 700

Because I actually saw it happen, I've searched the net a few different times about the 700's and always find new horror stories when I search.
Here's a link to a discussion regarding the 700 on Field and Stream's message boards.