Old 03-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Cheap .204?

does anyone know about a good qaulity .204 for under $500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
ronn

Not sure but i think Ruger and Savage are the only ones that are making the 204. And I'm not real sure about Savage. Used is going to be your best bet. You are kinda contradicting yourself with a good quality and under $500 for a new gun anyway. Most good quality guns start about there. Ones that hold their value anyway. Before you get a 204 be sure to do a lot of research. I looked at them early when they came out. Then started reading articles and testing reports about them and chose to pass. Oh and there is nothing wrong with used. If you want I tell you what I found to be interesting about the 204.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Scrub Buck

yes please tell me what you have reasershed about the 204
Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
ronn

done in a PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrayson
i would like to hear what you have found interesting about the .204

When they first came out I was all excited. The first article I read was nothing but praises. I get Shooting Times mag. After a couple six months the articles changed. It seems that everyone was saying you'd be better off with the 223. Yes the 204 is smoking fast but loses energy very quickly and therefore drops like a rock at distance. It also is so light that the wind blows them around like a kleenex. The 223 has more mass and bucks the wind better. it also carries its energy better at distance. yes it is not as flat a shooting round but is more consistent at longer distance. Long story short if you are out at 400yards the 223 will walk all over the 204. at 100 yards the 204 is flatter shooting but you still have to deal with the wind. That being said I think there is a place for all guns.... in my cabinet. I'll stick with the 22.250 for long range varmints. 540 yards cold shot a woodchuck with a 40 gr moly coated vmax. there is a lot more choice of ammo in 22.250 and the 223 than there is in the 204. hope that is of some help. later Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrayson
[thanks i have also been thinking about a 22-250 or a 243 what do you think

you seem to know your guns pretty good

im 14 do u think a 308 would be to much for me to handle that what im thinking about gettin after i get a varmit gun

the 22.250 is a fantastic varmint gun. I have the rem 700 heavy 26" barrel, laminate stock, important for long range shooting to have a heavy rifle. I really like, for a guy your age the 243. that can serve, both, as a fairly decent varmint gun and will work on deer as well. That's the gun I got my son when he was your age a couple years ago. I'd look at the Savage 243 bolt model 10, I think. Savage has the accutrigger that rem is now copying. very nice trigger. The best part the Savage is not a real expensive gun. I think you can get one with a scope for under $300 or something like that. may not be the best scope in the world but it works. You need to have a gun that fits you well in order to shoot it well. and shooting well is the MOST important thing.

bluegrayson i thought i'd post this for the others to add there opinions.

Last edited by ronn; 03-06-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 PM
B&C 180 Class

sounds like good advice to me .im no gun expert,just the basics
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky