Deer Hunting Forums banner

Lefty Looking for Guidance

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Newbie here! I have an question that has been troubling me for a few days. I am left handed and have a hard time finding Deer rifles. I recently trading in my Browning A-Bolt Micro Hunter chambered in 7mm-08 that I bought when I was 16(11 years ago) for a Ruger Mark II M77 chambered in a 7mm Rem Mag. I hunt in western Wisconsin and am now concerned that I may have made a mistake and got too big of a rifle. The browning shot the same size bullet and had great results when I pulled the trigger, but as I get older I would like to hunt something besides deer ex:elk, moose or bear. Now I'm thinking of returning the 7mm and buying a new savage pro hunter xp in a 30-06. I know they are basically the same gun but I'm hoping being the 06 isnt a mag the meat lost on deer will be smaller and the variety in grain weight will give me the ability to shot whitetail to moose. Plus the 7mm is a hog of a gun and a lighter rifle even if only a pound will make the hikes easier, I am about 5'9'' and the 44.25" length seems big. Thoughts? Am I over thinking this? Anyone have a Savage? or had this same thought too?

#2 ·
Ballistically at the end of the bullets flight a deer won't know the difference between a 7mm Mag and a .30-06. Either one will take any of the game you listed with the right bullets and right weights. The advantage of the .30-06 is the ability to go a little heavier, say up to 220 grains. 7mm Mags top out best at around 175~180 grains. It the length seems "big", then have your length-of-pull measured and find the right stock that fits you best. Use the rifle that comes in that stock. And don't overthink caliber.

#3 ·
Barrel length, Barrel length

I hunt Deer in MN. If you are hunting in the woods then where we hunt looks about the same. A long shot where I hunt is probibly 75 yards, with most shots being around 50 yards. The 30-06 will usually have a 22 inch barrel, the 7mm Mag will usually have a 24 inch barrel. This makes a big difference in thick woods getting to where you are going to set up for your hunt. If you are hunting Wyoming Anelope at 350 yards I would say that it makes sense to carry the fast magnum. For mid west hunting I don't see the fast magnums having usable advantages. You also stated that this rifle is alot heavier than your last. A really smart writter once wrote this, and this has been often repeated "The single most thing we all do with our rifles is to carry them". I personally like my rifle to weight around 7 pounds before I place a scope on it. Then the total with rifle, scope mounts/rings, scope, sling, and full magazine is around 8 pounds. A little lighter is better just don't make it to light unless it is a light recoiling cartridge like your old 7mm-08. Most gun shops won't let you return your rifle for full credit, if yours does that is great. I know of one guy who took his family to Africa, his wife and younger son carried bolt actions in 7mm-08. They both took several plains animals each using their rifles and were not under guned.

Karl

#4 ·
I've owned a bunch of big game rifles and still own a bunch today, somewhere around 50. If you own a Ruger M77 and are thinking of trading it for a Savage, DO NOT DO IT! That Ruger is twice the quality rifle the Savage is, trust me on that. I sold my last Savage, one I had rebarreled to .338/06 and have NEVER regretted doing that. Today, I own about seven M77s and am very happy with their quality and accuracy. Trade your 7mag for a M77 in '06 for a slightly shorter rifle, but as already said, the performance is pretty much the same!

#5 · (Edited)
I might disagree if we are talking about a Savage 99 then I'd sell all the Ruger rifles, but I'm sure the subject rifles are newer Savage models. The only thing I hear are the triggers are pretty good and the accuracy is good especially for the $'s spent. Rifles are like cars everyone has a preference for one over another. Neither Ruger or Savage currently makes a product that makes me want to take a second look at. I do like the newer Browning rifles but mostly my money goes to the oldies like me. Selling the Browning for a Ruger would have been a sin in my book but to each their own. Nothing wrong with the 30-06 it's an all for everything except maybe the big bears bullet. Just my 2 cents worth. Go find a classic rifle of yesteryear and you'll appreciate the fit, feel, and understand what was once built with quality materials for the average hunter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.