Are the Marlin XS7/XL7 rifles discontinued? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Are the Marlin XS7/XL7 rifles discontinued?

With Marlin becoming part of the Freedom group which already contained Remington Arms I heard they discontinued their bolt action rifles. If that is true it is a shame I thought the Marlin bolt actions were solid entry level rifles. I personally prefer them over Remington's entry level bolt actions. I like the Model 7 and 700 actions but their entry level ones no thanks.

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 07:37 PM
B&C 140 Class

I've not heard a hint about anything reference the XL7 stopping production. They are not made in the same place as the Marlin levers, being produced in Kentucky (I believe) where the Marlins are now made in Ilion, N.Y.

Being as how there are now walnut stocked versions now available, I don't see them going away any time soon.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

I heard a rumor that they are folding up marlin
Old 04-02-2014, 02:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

There is a substantiated "rumor" that the Ilion, N.Y. plant is going to scale down considerably or close altogether. Marlin lever guns are built there. However, the reason the N.Y. plant is scaling down (closing?) is because they are opening a new plant in Alabama, a much more "gun friendly" location than is Cuomo run NYS.

Remington Arms moving 2,000+ jobs from NY to Alabama - Yellowhammer News

AND I QUOTE:

"Gov. Bentley and Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard both immediately responded to Cuomo’s comments.
“In Alabama we strongly support and uphold our great U.S. Constitution on which our nation and our states were founded,” Bentley told Yellowhammer. “The Constitution serves to protect individual Freedoms. Among them are those guaranteed in the Second Amendment, which protects the right of the people to keep and bear Arms.

We will protect the Freedoms of individuals and welcome any one or any company to Alabama to discover as so many have, that we are a pro-business state filled with good, hardworking people.”
“If he doesn’t want hard working pro-life and pro-2nd Amendment people in his state, we will gladly take them here in Alabama,” Speaker Hubbard added.
It looks like that’s exactly what is happening."
Old 04-02-2014, 05:05 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Hope the XL/XS series survives...

The problem that I see is that the new Remington 783 bolt action is a direct competitor the the Marlin XS7/XL7. Bean counters don't like to have two Company products competing for the same customer. There are many similarities between the two rifles. Same basic barrel attachment, the Savage system. Also I believe that the 783 has a version of the accutrigger system similar to what is on the Marlin rifles. So we have two entry level rifles made in the same plant by the same Company... Oh Oh..

Karl
Old 04-04-2014, 10:31 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
So we have two entry level rifles made in the same plant by the same Company... Oh Oh..
But they're not actually the same company. They may be owned by the same umbrella group, but each one operates "mostly" as it's own company. I don't think they are looking to kill products because of parts commonality.