Anyone familiar with this one? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Scrub Buck

Question Anyone familiar with this one?

M70 Mauser 7mm Rem. Mag. Bolt Action with Monte Carlo Stock #RI1981-N
Made in Serbia at the Zastava factory. Any info would be appreciated. Sold by Centerfire Systems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 04:20 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Yes that is a commercial 98 Mauser action rifle

The company CZ imports various rifles, pistols, and shotguns here through CZ-USA. The rifle you are looking at is one of their Commercial Mauser 98 actions. It is the same as the standard German battle rifle of WW1 and WW2 with the exception of a modern safety fitted that is compatible with a scope. The new ones are also drilled and tapped for scope mounting on the receiver. Many people have stated that the M98 action is the finest sporting bolt action ever made. When people talk about controlled action feeding it was perfected by Mauser for the M98. I don't know why they are calling it the M70 rifle because it doesn't have the same action as the Winchester M70. The controlled round feed Winchester M70 was an improved version of the Mauser M98. One thing you will notice when you handle the M98 action compared to a M70 or Rem M700 is that the bolt by design has more lateral play in it. The price is attractive at the price listed and will last several life times.

Karl
Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 AM
B&C 140 Class

Thumbs up

I did not see any connection with CZ within that ad, perhaps there is, but I don't see it. That same make rifle & style was recently imported by Remington as their M799 and M798. The M98 Mauser action is, as already stated, a superior design and one many modern bolt rifle rifles are based upon. You might want to research those Zastava produced Remington model 798s to find a bit more info. It would be a very good quality rifle at that price. I would prefer it over any U.S. made entry level bolt gun.

Model 798 Bolt Action Centerfire Rifle

REMINGTON Model 798 WALNUT 7mmRemMAG for sale (946874482)

This would be another interesting article to read:

Remington / Accurate Innovations Model 798 Rifle

Last edited by turner; 03-20-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 AM
B&C 120 Class

It's Zastava, and has nothing to do with CZ. Zastava made these exact same rifle that used to be imported by Interarms as the Interarms Mark.X Mauser. I have one of those, and I also have one of these in .243. While the quality isn't quite up to my 1980's Interarms model, the rifle is otherwise unchanged. In fact, Remington imported these same rifles for a few years as the Remington Model 798 (get the "98" designator from the old '98 Mausers?!?)
Old 03-20-2014, 01:05 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Sorry I was wrong about the relationship with CZ arms

You guys are right as usual I was wrong. CZ arms are from the Czech Republic, and Zastava arms are from Serbia. I handled the Remington 798 mentioned above and it is a solid entry level rifle. The lateral play in the bolt was there, and is part of the design.

Karl
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
CZ arms are from the Czech Republic, and Zastava arms are from Serbia.
The 798 was really a very nice rifle and had some of the most gorgeous wood seen on a production rifle. But the Zastava models have gone to synthetic stocks to reduce costs and they aren't the best. I've had to lap the bolt on my .243 several times just to get it to slide slicker, which usually isn't an issue with '98 design bolts. It's a step down from my Mark.X Mauser, but still a good rifle on par with everyone else's entry-level offering such as the Ruger American.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
The 798 was really a very nice rifle and had some of the most gorgeous wood seen on a production rifle. But the Zastava models have gone to synthetic stocks to reduce costs and they aren't the best. I've had to lap the bolt on my .243 several times just to get it to slide slicker, which usually isn't an issue with '98 design bolts. It's a step down from my Mark.X Mauser, but still a good rifle on par with everyone else's entry-level offering such as the Ruger American.

Not exactly sure where that "gorgeous wood" comment is coming from as about 98% of the 798s sold here had laminated stocks. That new Zastava shown in the OP has a walnut stock which looks ever so plain to my eyes.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 PM
B&C 120 Class

Hey, I liked them regardless.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:49 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
Hey, I liked them regardless.

Can't say I'd blame you, they are great rifles and I'm still wanting to use one as a basis for a nice custom rifle with custom stock as they are a great bargain just like the used Interarms MKXs can still be.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Laminated stocks are not pretty, but they are solid

I have a Laminated stock on the Winchester M70 Fwt I bought 25 years ago. It is not as pretty as walnut stock would be but tolerated Idaho Elk hunting and Whitetail in Mn better than a beautiful Walnut would have.

Karl