130 grain vs. 150? - Page 4 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

I've used Remington Core-Lok'ts in both 130 and 150 grain. Like others have said, get yourself several boxes of ammo, different brands, different grains, and let the rifle tell you which one it likes. I use a Savage Model 111 in .270 and have found mine 'prefers' the 150 grain. Core-Lokt's have never let me down and have repeatedly proved to be a one shot, one kill round. Any issues with not dropping the deer with a Core-Lokt with a single round have been proved to be the fault of the nut behind the trigger and NOT the round in the chamber. ((Nahhhh, say that isn't so!!!))

Oh, for giggles and grins, my daughter bought my son-in-law a Remington 710 in .30-06 and he has never had any issues with it. He uses Remington Core-Lokt's in his as well (just not sure of the grain). Don't have a .30-06 so I can't provide any input on that caliber, figured that .270 is plenty enough for any whitetail here in central Texas.

Just my $0.02 worth . . . . .

And that's after finding two pennies walking through a Wally World parking lot.

Anyone else out there using Remington Core-Lokts???

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM
B&C 140 Class

I have used a 270 for over ten years now and have put many deer down fast with it. The biggest issue I have with 130 gr is it leaves a realy small entry n exit hole. This has been an issue before because the deer usually don't start to leave blood for 20 to 30 yards from impact point. For example I shot a 180 lbs buck 3 years ago and knew I made a great shot on him, I climb down out of the tree about 45 mins after the shot n look for blood. I did not find any blood for about 20 yards from we're he was shot, then it was like fallowing a trail of someone slowly pouring out liquid from a bottle. I tracked that trail 150yards up hill n then another 150 yards down hill quartering back down n there he lay at almost 300 yards from impact. Now ya thinking bad hit well after field dressing this deer I found my shot went through the top of the left lung put a burn on the heart n went through the right lung about 3/4's down. Yep 300 yards!!! I never ever would had belived it if I didn't do it myself n had my dad there when tracking n field dressing. I have now switched to 150 grain just for a bigger hole. Since I've moved to 150 gr every deer I've shot since, if they didn't drop I got blood within 10 yards. Now I only chest ( heart) shoot nice bucks all other deer I just head shoot n they just drop like a sack of taters. But if them racks wold get even just alittle chewy I'd shoot them in the head too. I like eating the hearts n liver from my deer too.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 PM

In the 270 I use all three 130, 140,and 150 gr. In the 30-06 I prefer 150gr and I use Remington, Winchester, Federal, ammo without issues.