lost deer - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 01-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Scrub Buck

Default lost deer

About 5 years ago i decided to start hunting. I bought a winchester model 70 in 30-06 and got it sighted in. Then i went to a buddy of mine who has hunted most his life. So he agreed to let me hunt on his 66 acres. So id been reading up on shot placement and everything related to hunting whitetail. So one late evening we were sitting in his ground blind overlooking a cut corn field. It was about 80 yards wide and 140 yards long with trees on all sides. Around sunset i say a good sized doe come out and start eating the corn. I waited until she got a little closer but around 120 yards she was about to be back in the woods so i lined up a good shit behind the shoulder broadside. Well, she stumbled and ran into the woods. Now from all my reading i decided to wait and let her expire. But.my buddy had other plans. He started hooting and hollaring and took off running toward it. I was a little upset to say the least. Anyway, i tracked from the shot to where she entered tje woods. Heres where it gets interesting. About 10 yards into the woods there was a huge pool of blood. Then it started a trail. So we tracked the trail and found that it went in a semi-circle. Now at the other end of the woods coming out to the same cut field, was another big pool of blood and then the trail went cold as it entered the open field. I looked and looked for that deer until our.flashlights ran out. Then looked the next day....i never did recover my first deer. So let me hear it guys. What do yall think.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:51 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default That's why it's called hunting....

Sometimes you will lose your animal, it happens. The pools of blood were where she layed down until she sensed pressure and she got up and moved. We probibly have all lost a Deer or will during our hunting career. It sounds like you tracked it as far and as long as you could. Something ate it don't feel bad about it. I personally like to follow the front leg up 1/3 into the shoulder and shoot the Deer there. That will break the shoulder and anchor animal.

Karl
Old 01-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Scrub Buck

Exactly. Like i said this was my first. I have since then put down many more and i love the shoulder shot. Drops them right there everytime. Thanks for the comment
Old 01-23-2014, 06:05 PM

problem with shoulder shot is the destruction of a lot of good meat. One is lucky to get 60-70 lb's of boned out meat without major damage due to a poor hit. I will take a double lung shot over any other shot whether archery or rifle.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Scrub Buck

Yea. That is a downside. I usually cut around that bad meat. I used to use a .243 and it would only penetrate one shoulder but my .30-06 will damage meat on both sides
Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 PM
B&C 140 Class

100yds or less I neck shoot them. No trailing to do. But that's not for everybody
Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 PM
B&C 120 Class

Your buddy should have waited to let the deer bleed out.