Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   Looking for best rifle for petite female hunter (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/14762-looking-best-rifle-petite-female-hunter.html)

libbyt3 11-18-2013 04:08 AM

Looking for best rifle for petite female hunter

I am using my Grandfather's 1967 .270 Winchester rifle for hunting right now but it is sort of too big for me. I am only 5'2/petite and with my shorter arms that sometimes takes me a minute to get set up for a shot and can only hold it for a little bit because it starts too get too heavy for me. My fella complains when we go in the woods that I carry my gun over my shoulder and not in the "ready" position. We went and looked at rifles for me over the weekend but the new ones still seem too big for me. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or if I should look at youth sized rifles.

gfdeputy2 11-18-2013 06:03 AM

Take a look at the Ruger American I purchased one for my daughter in .308 it is a great rifle for cheap money. They now make it in a compact version I am now using it during rifle season & going to get one for myself as it is lighter then my M77 shoots great not a lot of recoil she is 16 not a big girl & handles it with ease

Scorpion8 11-18-2013 09:53 AM

They make lots of "youth" models that are shorter and lighter. Try a Remington Model 7, Weatherby Vanguard YS (youth sporter), or Marlin XR-7 Youth models. All can be had in deer calibers. The Ruger American Compact is another option.

tator 11-18-2013 01:22 PM

I agree with gfd. .308 is what I'd suggest

turner 11-18-2013 02:27 PM

We recently purchased a Ruger American Compact in .243 for a new hunter in our family. It has turned out to be nice & accurate and no complaints with it thus far. Although I am a huge fan of the .308 (have owned about a dozen over the years) I'd recommend the 7mm08 over it for someone of smaller stature. I would have gotten a 7/08 over the .243, as I think it's a bit more versatile, but could not find any in stock at the time.

Marlin also makes a decent quality youth sized rifle in their X7Y.

Karl.Luhr 11-19-2013 08:41 AM

Another vote for the 7mm-08

I would suggest a compact/youth bolt action rifle in 7mm-08. The compact/youth rifles have a shorter length of pull in the butt stock and will feel alot more comfortable for you. The 308 is a wonderful cartridge but it will kick more than the 7mm-08 and no Deer will know the difference. Some of the manufactures shorten the barrel on their compact/youth rifles to 20 inches from 22. This will lessen the muzzle weight and make it easier for you to hold a shot picture. I have a rifle with a 18.5 inch barrel, and while it is great in the woods I wish that it was 20 inches instead of 18.5. Resist putting a large scope on your new rifle, a compact rifle should wear a compact scope. I have compact scopes and love them. A scope with 1x4, 1.5x5, or 2x7 are plenty. You see alot of scopes at the range that are 3x9, 3.5x10 all with 40mm or bigger objectives. While these make it easy to shoot nice groups from the bench they mess up the wonderful balance the rifle had prior to hanging a large scope on it. Make sure to let us know what you decide on...

Karl

mac266 12-20-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion8 (Post 105514)
They make lots of "youth" models that are shorter and lighter. Try a Remington Model 7, Weatherby Vanguard YS (youth sporter), or Marlin XR-7 Youth models. All can be had in deer calibers. The Ruger American Compact is another option.

What he said. My wife experiences the same thing. It boggles my mind how some men want their wives / girlfriends to hunt with them or at least take up shooting with them, and then act frustrated and callous when the guns are too big for the women. The fact is, most guns were designed with a 6', 200 pound man in mind, and expecting a 5' 2", 110 pound woman to handle the gun the same way is ridiculous. Could any 6', 200 pound man handle a gun that was 2 feet longer and ten pounds heavier than the one they're currently using? I think not.

I bought my wife a youth model shotgun and now trap shooting is a breeze for her. I bought an appropriately-sized handgun for her and now shooting it is a breeze for her (and she finally carries the darn thing!). I can't get her into hunting, but at least she can shoot the guns she has.

3212 12-23-2013 10:09 PM

I bought a Ruger M77 MarkII youth model in .243 in 2005.161/2 inch barrel.I've taken 2 deer with it.The short barrel loses several hundred feet per second but the deer didn't notice.My grandsons will soon be using it.Its very accurate.

Kansasdoe 12-25-2013 11:05 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only gal around here that struggles with their gun being to big. I'm only 5ft 2.5 inches tall. I have a Remington .243 and even though it does feel a little big but it's better than the other guns I've used. I have a hard time seeing through the scope on our other guns since I can't seem to get it close enough to my face to see through it right. (Stinkin short arms!) On my gun the scope has been moved closer to me and it feels comfortable. I'd like to find a 30-30 for next year.

Karl.Luhr 12-26-2013 02:21 PM

Don't be afriad to cut the butt stock to make a rife fit

It is amazing to me that shooters are not willing to have a gunsmith cut the butt stock to make a rifle fit. I have done it to two rifles, yes it did make me cry. A rifle has to fit with what you are wearing when you are hunting. If it doesn't fit or only when you are in a tie shirt make the trip to the gunsmith. It is great when all you have to do is shoulder the rifle and the scope is perfect.

Karl