frustrated - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-16-2013, 09:16 AM
B&C 180 Class

Default frustrated

Well my nephew and I are out on opening day rifle season as I type. Weather is not cooperating at all. 15+ mph winds ALL day long and temps in the upper 50s, low 60s. Tomorrow is the exact same. Just ticks me off waiting so ling for this weekend to arrive only to have it ruined by weather. Not saying we won't see deer, but definitely are not seeing as many as I usually do during the rut. Plus the winds are strongly out of the south/southwest. Most of my setups are for a north or northwest wind.

Feeling frustrated .... Needed to vent
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 11:15 AM
B&C 140 Class

Thumbs up

Little (anything??) more frustrating then waiting months for opening morning and then ending up with a weather dud of a day. I remember several years ago to waking in my camper in a remote section of Tennessee woods to very high winds and pelting rain. I rolled over and went back to sleep for a few hours. When I began to hear the rain ease up and some lessening of the high winds, I got dressed and went out, an hour and a half after SR. I was only at my chosen spot for 15 mins when a huge 10 point ambled by; well, he almost ambled by.

Moral of the story, you can't shoot'em in the house or camper. I give you high marks for your dedicated attitude and when the rut is on, you never know when a nice buck may make a cameo appearance! Best of luck with the remainder of your opening day & weekend!!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:42 PM

hang in Tator, weather always changes!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:39 PM
B&C 180 Class

Well today's hunt is over. Glad to spend the day outdoors. Haven't had a relaxing day like this in a long time. Just wish the wind cooperated a little better. Temp actually got warmer as day went on and after dark it was the highest of the day at 62 degrees. Temps are supposed to stay in the low 60's overnight and tomorrow morning. Winds are supposed to be just as strong tomorrow.
All in all, we did see some deer. We saw 5 does and 2 young bucks. We took a break at noon to go eat at my in-laws (it's a tradition) and my nephew went on home after dinner. I went back out and immediately walked up on a young 8pt that I accidentally scared off.
The biggest pain is really not the wind,,, it's how the deer act in the wind. Even with it being the rut, they are skiddish and unsure. I did not hear many shots throughout the day either. Temp is supposed to get colder starting Monday so I'm keeping the fingers crossed.
Tomorrow's a new day, gonna wake back up nice and early and hit it hard again!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 PM
B&C 180 Class

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED NOW. winds in the upper teens? Nope, try 25-35mph all day non stop. I absolutely hate waiting all year for this one special weekend and then blah. I'd take rain, snow, heat, bitter cold, ANYTHING but this wind!!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

I completely understand ur frustration. I was just as disappointed this past weekend. We spend alot of money and drove about 1 1/2 hrs to hunt and the weekend weather was a bust. I'm like you , the wind blowing that hard is just frustrating. I hunted all day saturday and seen a doe and 4 pt b4 dark. They both ended up smelling me as the wind was swirling. I could have shot the 4pt b4 he smelled me but passed. I'm hoping the weather for next weekend will be much better. Hunting in the wind just isn't much fun. :( I like to hear them walking thru the leaves but couldn't hear anything this past weekend! I did see some turkeys!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 PM
B&C 180 Class

taking the day off tomorrow (Wednesday). Looking forward to calmer weather and colder conditions!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:03 AM

Good Luck Tator if it makes you feel any better I am having the worst season I have ever had bow season has been a mess for me with a ton of missed oppertunities a couple misses then came rifle & haven't seen a deer alive in the woods & to top it off Evander was shot almost in my back yard have not given up yet but coming close

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 11-20-2013, 11:21 AM
B&C 180 Class

I hear you gfd. I just got back to the house on my day off because it is now down pouring outside. The weather changed on me big time. I last checked it yesterday early morning and they said the rain was going to hold off until early Thursday morning. WRONG. I did see a doe and two fawns. Kinda strange, but the two fawns were still pretty small and the doe was really looking after them closely. Not sure if I've seen a doe so protective of her fawns this late in the year before. On a positive note, I did rid the world of one coyote. :)
Old 11-20-2013, 11:35 AM

One less Yote is good news tons of them around here thinking of changing gears & going after themwe saw quite a few fawns with spots still mid to late Sept this year

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright