Deer Hunting Forums banner

Winchester Sxr 300wsm

12K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Karl.Luhr 
#1 ·
I Just Bought The Nw Winchester Sxr In A 300wsm Does Anybody Have One Of These Guns?how Does It Shoot?i Do My Own Reloading Does Anybody Have A Good Load For This Cal?thanks Whitetailfever

#2 ·
I don't have a Winchester, but bought a Rem Model 7 in 300WSM last year. I'm still working on loads for it. The Hodgdon and Barnes web sites give loading data for this caliber. Currently, I am using Nosler 180 grain AccuBonds with 63 grains of H 4350, Federal brass and Winchester mag rifle primers. I'm getting good groups, but not yet the consistent sub minute that I think this gun will do with the right "Tweeking." Let me know how you are doing with this.

#3 ·
Thanks Onehorse For The Load Info I'll Be Trying It Out.i Havn't Shot My Sxr Yet But When I Do I'll Let You Know.they Claim For A Semi Auto That It Will Get Sub Minute Acc.i'm Hopeing.i Guess Browning And Winchester Are One Now.my Sxr Is A Twin To The Bar And 200.00 Cheaper

#5 ·
Oh Yeah I Allways Start Low On My Loads.in Fact I Have A Old Winchester Model 100 Semi Auto 308 That I Use. My First Starting Load With That Was Sweet!!3/4 In Groups At100yds.very Good For A Old Semi Auto.but In Another Case I Had To Load My Tc Encore 300win Mag To The Max To Achieve The Accuracy That Was Acceptible For Me.i Am Very Fusy Because Having A Gun That Shoots Very Good Gives A Person Alot Of Confedence In His Gun And I Would Sacrifice Speed Over Acc Anyday.talk To You Soon.

#6 ·
seems like im missing out by not reloading my own stuff.with the price of ammo i just may start

#8 ·
Right, Signman, I do it because it cost a whole lot less. Back when I started handloading, it was common to be able to load bullets that were more accurate than what could be purchased. Honestly, I don't think that's true any more, what with all the premium bullets out there. Trouble is, some of those cost a small fortune - $50 a box and more! So, I keep cranking out my obsolete equipment and do it myself. Of course, when you do that, there's a lot of satisfaction when you start seeing groups of 1 inch or less, not to mention just the fun of doing it.

#9 ·
I'm With You Onehorse.i'm Fairly New At The Reloading Maybe 5yrs Or So But It Is Really Fun To Do And I Think More Rewarding When I Harvest A Deer With My Own Reloads.it Cost A Fair Amount Of Money To Get Stated But Well Worth Its Weight In Gold So To Speek.you Can Really Fine Tune Just About Any Cal.

#10 ·
i used to get the "blue press"it was full of reloading stuff .amongst other things:whistling:

#12 ·
Yes Thats For Sure.my Dad Is A Reloader Also But Has Many Years Under His Bet And Has Showed Me Different Typs Of Pressure Signs To Watch Out For And The Reasons Behind Them.like I Said I'm Fairly New To Reloading But Have Been Around It All My Life And Never Really Had Hands On Like I Do Now.but Being Focused And Having No Distractions While Reloading Is A Must.my Father Allways Told Me To Start Low And Work Your Way Up But Never Exceed The Max No Matter What.

#13 ·
300 WSM reloads

I've been reloading for my Browning A-Bolt and have used 165 grain bullets,Barnes, Nosler Accubonds and Hornadys. Went to the Hornadys for cost considerations at about half the other bullets expense with no accuracy downside. The Noslers and Hornadys will group at about .800 if I'm having a good day. The Barnes were a little more spread, but quite exceptable for hunting;and they are deadly on game. I've been using 64.4 grains H414, and I need to tweek it a little more. I might go up to 180 grain projoes and try both the H414 and IMR 4350, the IMR is suppose to be good also.

I like being able to reload because I can fine tune the load to the gun and I don't have to worry so much about the inconsistant COL I've seen in factory loads. And paying $50 for a box of 300 WSM makes no sense.

I also reload for my 30-06,and my 11 year olds .223 and .243. He has single shot T/C and HR -New England Handi-rifle. They are great learning tools.

#14 ·
i've been reloading for my browning a-bolt and have used 165 grain bullets,barnes, nosler accubonds and hornadys. Went to the hornadys for cost considerations at about half the other bullets expense with no accuracy downside. The noslers and hornadys will group at about .800 if i'm having a good day. The barnes were a little more spread, but quite exceptable for hunting;and they are deadly on game. I've been using 64.4 grains h414, and i need to tweek it a little more. I might go up to 180 grain projoes and try both the h414 and imr 4350, the imr is suppose to be good also.

I like being able to reload because i can fine tune the load to the gun and i don't have to worry so much about the inconsistant col i've seen in factory loads. And paying $50 for a box of 300 wsm makes no sense.

I also reload for my 30-06,and my 11 year olds .223 and .243. He has single shot t/c and hr -new england handi-rifle. They are great learning tools.
i did finally found a really good load!!69grs. Of imr 4350 with a 150 barnes x triple shock 1.25 groups at 100yrds!!very satisfied.

#16 ·
Googled 300WSM model SXR and found some pictures on Cabela's website.

If they took the "sXr" logo off of the receiver and all I was looking at was just the receiver, I'd swear I was looking at the same receiver as my Remington Model 740. Okay, the 740 I have was made the year I was born and that was a couple of days ago, but the action, charging handle, safety, etc. all look virtually identical. My 740 is in .244/6mmRemington and not nearly as powerful as the .300WSM, but it's still a very sweet shooting rifle. I've put several deer in the freezer using mine, so you're going to have to tell us how yours shoots.

RR

#17 ·
Recommendations to someone getting into reloading

Don't make the mistake of buying a entry level single stage press. The price difference is not great enough to not start with a quality single stage unit. Most people that buy the cheap starter one upgrade quickly to the top of the line single stage unit. Also I would try to steer a new reloader away from progressive presses. I have had one they are great if you shoot alot of pistol(500 rounds a week). Otherwise alot happens as you lower and raise the handle. Up to 4 operations happening at once. I managed to ruin a Coonan Arms 357 barrel when I forgot to put powder into a case using my progessive. Firing rapid fire competition I put a bullet in the barrel and fired another right behind it. Not pretty but totally avoidable. I also really enjoy loading my own rifle and pistol ammo. There are those that are handloaders, a handloader to me can tell you exactly how far the bullet is off the lands of the barrel and have tried a dozen different powders. A reloader loads a good safe load right from the manual keeping all loads sized to the recommended standards for the cartrige. I know that there are loads out there faster than the one I shoot, I don't care, mine works fine and has shown good accuracy in all rifles I have shot it in. If you are thinking about I you won't be sorry, just don't get into it to turn standard cartriges into magnums. If you need the speed of a magnum buy a magnum or shoot the hot Hornady Superformance ammo.

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.