Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   Picked up new rifle (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/14162-picked-up-new-rifle.html)

turner 10-10-2013 09:33 AM

Picked up new rifle

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if this is exactly where this belongs, but here goes. I picked up a new rifle on Tuesday that will be used as a gift to a "Wounded Warrior" on an upcoming gifted hunt planned for this coming January. I was very impressed when I opened the box and first looked at the brand new Winchester M70 Featherweight in 30/06 that we decided on. We actually had a heck of a time locating this particular rifle and ended up ordering it from a "Sportsman's Warehouse" store in Utah.

The fit and finish are nothing short of great and the bolt smoothness and trigger pull are also quite good. If it ends up shooting as well as it looks, we will have one happy service member, when we present him this rifle as a surprise bonus to his free hunt. I was helped in finding the very deserving service member (now medically retired) by both the "Combat Helicopter Pilot's Association" and an organization called "Operation Second Chance". Operation Second Chance will actually fund the travel for our honored guest to the hunt in Georgia. The hunt and rifle package is over a $2,000. gift to him, not counting the cost of the travel, flying him and a guest in and out of Atlanta.

This is our second such hunt, the first was another hog hunt at the same place in Georgia with our honored guest on that hunt (a Marine) receiving a Ruger M77 Hawkeye topped by a VX2 3-9x40 on that hunt. That hunter took 3 hogs using his brand new rifle and the entire hunt was a roaring success. The way that hunt turned out convinced all involved that we needed to try and make this gift to a deserving American service member an annual thing, if at all possible. So you know, the entire hunt (minus travel) and the gifted rifle is funded entirely by donations made by people I've known, scattered all across the country. This last hunt had donations come in from 10 different states, from California to New York. This year, so far, we have had donations come in from Alaska to Connecticut and many places in between.

Anyway, I am awaiting the bases & rings I ordered and the scope, another VX2 3-9x40 (also a donation) to arrive so I can assemble it all, sight it in and ready it for the hunt and our special guest. I will try and post more info and some pictures if any are interested, as I ready the gift rifle.

Picture is our honored guest from this past January looking at his new Ruger Hawkeye for the very first time.

Thanks!

Karl.Luhr 10-10-2013 10:41 PM

Thank you Turner for doing this....

It is really special what you are doing, keep it up...

Karl

Hellbilly 10-11-2013 01:26 AM

That's an awesome thing right there. A friend of mine is a PH and works for Tink of Tinks. They have the Bows for Heros project and do several hunts for wounded vets every year from hog hunts to Canadian bear hunts. They told my son he has a standing hunt waiting for him when ever he can get the time. He was just given a 80% disability from the USMC for a brain and facial injuries. All of these projects to take our wounded vets hunting is a great thing for many reasons and on many levels. My friend is also a wounded vets,he was hit by an IED and really messed up his leg. He has had so many surgeries on it and still having major problems he his seeing a shrink now in prep of removing his leg below the knee.

Hunting Man 10-11-2013 11:30 AM

wow, what a grand thing you are doing! Lifts up the spirit for all of us, thanks!

turner 10-11-2013 12:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the kind words. I thought I'd post a couple more pictures from the hunt with "our" Marine guest. One picture is with Brian and his Dad with his Dad's big sow. The other picture is Brian and his Dad with Brian's first ever hog, also a nice sow. It was a one shot DIT kill with his brand new rifle & scope @ 175 yards. Brian took two more hogs for a total of three on this hunt. He & his Dad had to go out and buy another couple coolers just to get all the meat home. :biggrin:

Third picture is Brian opening his gifted rifle as his Dad looks on.

BruceBruce1959 10-11-2013 03:19 PM

nothing compares to this sort of Kindness, Great Job ! :thumbup::thumbup:

3212 10-12-2013 10:03 AM

Great job guys!

Scorpion8 10-14-2013 10:43 AM

Kudos for doing good things! Keep it up!

turner 10-15-2013 11:25 AM

Well, the rings have finally been delivered (gee that post office is slow...lol!). I'll see about getting them & scope mounted in the AM and try to post some pics. BTW, the wood on the rifle is nothing short of awesome. :thumbup:

turner 10-17-2013 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, here she is! Sorry about the not-so-good picture, but you can still see the nice grain in the stock. It is one beautiful rifle!