Deer Hunting Forums banner

Anyone know anything about the winchester model 70 .30-06?

20K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Unregistered 
#1 ·
i have pre 64 winchester model 70 .30-06 in pretty much perfect condition, it was made in 1963 actually. it's only been shot once, 99.8% of the finish on the barrel(2 VERY small scrapes near the bolt. i was wondering what you think i could get selling a gun like this at an auction or what i should expect if i were to have it appraised. i can probably get pictures up if that would help. thanks

#2 ·
Just from doing alot of rifle research lately I have learned that rifle to be known as the "Riflemans" rifle. As some collectors say to be one of the most popular hunting rifles to date. Only made in limited production for a short period of time. Just from what I have read on the internet & magazines I would estimate an approx value of $1000 for a near perfect rifle, all the way down to $500 - $700 for a 65% to 80% condition piece. It's funny this is posted today as I just got done reading an artical in Petersons Hunting about the new Model 70 that will be out just in time for 2008 firearm season. I don't know if the re-introduction of a favorite rifle for many will diminish the value or help increase it. Sounds like a nice rifle!!

#3 ·
Congrats, you have a very highly desirable rifle. Probably one of the best ever made. I would hope that you never sell it and send it down the family line. I think $1000.00 would not be a high dollar value in todays market for your gun if in fact it is clean and in excellect condition. Wish I had one.

#4 ·
#6 ·
id keep it ill give ya the1000$ tomorrow if i could:whistling:

#10 ·
Win M-70 going price

I don't know how many gun shows there are in your area, but just like with used cars information is power. I would go to the gun show and see what they are ASKING for ones on their tables that are similar to yours.
The Win collectors that I have met all can spit out tons of information on various features and can probibly tell you a lot about your rifle. I would have the rifle in the car, and cruise the show prior to bringing it in. DON'T
sell it to the first dealer that offers money for it. If they want it immediately for x number of dollars they will still want it for the same money in an hour. I have seen rifles/pistols sold for less then they should have been. The tables closest to the door are the prime locations for getting walk-in guns as they come in. Good luck, consider strongly keeping it prior to selling it. I regret almost every rifle/pistol sale I have made.

Karl

#15 ·
Like most of the other folks who have replied, this is probably one of the best made hunting rifles of the 20th century. It has been used by hunters as well as military snipers, all with results expected from the name Winchester.

Sell a rifle like that? I'm one who would hang on a rifle like that and pass it on to a descendant some day. Rifles like that should be handed down to future generations instead of being auctioned/sold, but that's just my opinion.

RR

#16 ·
the model 70 is a very nice rifle.All winchesters or bringing a good dollar right now.The pre-64s or in high demand and one in 95+ condition is bringing very good money.many or bringing 3-5Xs what they were worth 10yrs ago.Like others said if you aint in a bad way for some cash,KEEP IT

#21 ·
was wandering if you could help me with the age and where it was made, serial # is 761xxx, and also is it a feather weight thank you

Now that looks to be an interesting rifle. From the research I've done, 761,xxx serial numbers were/are from rifles made in 1965, making it a post '64 rifle. But in 1965 the Featherweight version (22" barrel and no barrel band for rear sight) was no longer being produced (best of my knowledge). The Featherweight came back in the early to mid eighties with the Featherweight XTR model.

If you don't mind my asking, what makes you think it is a featherweight? Does it have the word "Featherweight" stamped on the barrel?

#20 ·
"Personally I would keep it for my grandson.. "

"Good luck, consider strongly keeping it prior to selling it. I regret almost every rifle/pistol sale I have made."

"Thats a nice gun. If you're not in dire need of cash I am just like the other guys on this one. Keep IT.."

Couldn't have said things like this better myself. Almost like they took the words right out of my mouth . . . . hey guys, did they taste good??? <grin> (Oops, did I actually say that?)

RR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.