Which deer would you shoot? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-31-2007, 07:05 PM
B&C 180 Class

i just want to make sure everyone understands im shooting the other deer not for the antlers but because i believe the other (wounded)deer belongs to whoever shot it first.if it was 1 min before the end of legal time then i would put it out of its misery.however a shoulder wound should have dropped it on the spot if it didnt the wound is superficial ,maybe im wrong. i just wouldnt want the confrontation with the other hunter who comes looking.people get crazy over a deer and i dont want to argue with someone holding a gun who may shoot me .Thats the NYC in me ,we're not very trusting.sad but true
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 03:57 PM
B&C 100 Class

i would shoot the wounded animal but i understand what you are saying joel i don't want any confrontation with an armed and ticked off hunter
Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 AM
B&C 100 Class

ok if i shot the wounded buck do i have to tag it???? if not then i would shot the larger first and then thry to track the wounded second and try to finish the job. or i might try to wait as long as possible to see how the injured der is acting when it comes time to make a shot. at all really depends on the time in the season. you might have to literally put me in the stand and in that sittuation for me to give you an honest answer. i do not like to see the deer suffer and if i come up on a deer and it is gut shot or has been spine shot and just can't move i will spend another bullet to finish the job quickly and with out alot of pain for the animal........other then being shot from 6 feet away
Old 01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
B&C 120 Class

Spike,Doe,Shot,Hit by car,Born deformed doesn't matter. Always take the weak ones out of the herd, and you'll benefit in the long run. The really nice buck may someday be a Monster Buck but the injured one never will.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Spike,Doe,Shot,Hit by car,Born deformed doesn't matter. Always take the weak ones out of the herd, and you'll benefit in the long run. The really nice buck may someday be a Monster Buck but the injured one never will.
lol yea or it may get hit by a truck and not enjoyed by anyone. thus is life.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 PM
B&C 120 Class

Yeah maybe, but one has a chance and the other don't. If you always take the biggest, strongest, healthiest then only the weak will be left.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
B&C 140 Class

Since I set up this scenario, I guess it's time for me to give my answer, but first, I want to thank everyone who has replied so far. You gave a lot of perspectives that I hadn't thought about.
Joel - I agree that no deer is worth getting into an armed confrontation for. That was a good point.
TNHunter - another great comment when you say that you almost have to be in the situation before you could tell for sure what you might do. (I'm trying to set these up so that just in case you ever find yourself in such a situation, you may find it more easy to make a hard decision because you have already given it some thought.)
Most of you guys would shoot the wounded deer to end its suffering. That's what I would do too.
I wouldn't assume that the hunter who wounded it would be tracking it or good enough to find it if he were. Of course, if he were to show up after I killed it, I could always offer it to him - provided I hadn't already put my tag on it. That might make things a little sticky!
Also, I wouldn't assume that the deer would survive this wound. There have been lots of deer that survive with a broken leg, but a broken shoulder is pretty much a fatal wound... but it might take a while. The point is not the particluar wound described here, but the idea that you might find a deer that has a wound from which it most likely would not survive.
For me, if I shot that big buck, I could never tell anyone the story without, at least, thinking about what might have happened to the other buck (whether I told them about it or not) and that would make the whole thing, not only a bad experience to begin with, but a recurring distasteful problem every time I told it.
(More questions on hunter ethics to follow.)
Old 01-07-2008, 01:33 AM
B&C 100 Class

It kind of depends on the situation for me. It might depend on if I knew who shot it and it might depend on how severly he was wounded in the shoulder. If it looked like he might go down any second (with lots of blood) I might not shoot him. but if he looked like he was still moving decent but with a bad limp I would shoot him.

We had to kill a wounded deer this year that was shot in the foot. When I saw the buck I didn't know he was wounded and didn't want to shoot it because it was a smaller 4x4. But when he started moving I could tell he had a pretty good limp. So I thought that I had try and get him. He was in a CRP field about 350 yards. I snuck over a ridge to try to intercept him in the next draw but he was too quick and got over the next ridge. Luckily he ran right to my partner and he ended up finishing him off. We found out about an hour later who had wounded him, but we kept the deer and my buddy tagged it.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:33 PM
B&C 120 Class

I work with a guy who was hunting early Dec with snow on the ground in a rolling hill area. He shoots a doe and it runs off. He waits about 45 min before he starts tracking. He goes about 100 yards and a new set of human footprints is now ahead of him. Another 150 yards later he finds a gut pile. He follows the drag marks to roadside and the hunter was gone. He never heard a shot after his. He felt robbed as it was the last day of gun season.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Scrub Buck

I would take the injured deer, that way it wont be suffering. Then IF the original shooter comes along then offer it up, if not tag it and off I'd go. Even though the larger of the two would be nice to harvest too, I wouldnt want that "what if" question for the rest of time.