Ideas About HUnting Targets - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-19-2007, 09:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Ideas About HUnting Targets

Just wondering what you folks use for hunting targets. After sighting in with regular targets, I like using life size targets or just pieces of cardboard that approximate in size the broadside of my game. After all, animals don't have rings or solid black circles on their sides. Often in real hunting situations, hunters shoot at the whole animal rather than picking a spot. If you practice shooting at a blank piece cardboard at the spot where the heart or lungs would be if your animal were broadside to you, you force yourself to think about the (inside) anatomy of your animal when all you can see is the outside. Does this make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 09:37 PM

Yeah onehorse that makes perfect sense to me. You actually made a good point to me in thinking of the shot area. I use the 1 inch increment paper targets at 100 yards and zero my rifle in to the tee. But I've only seen the vital area targets for bows, do you know of any around for rifles or maybe I should draw one up on cardboard. But you do make a good point.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:49 PM
B&C 180 Class

for bow i use a block type target.i only shoot a doz or less at a time so that i try to make every shot count.for rifles i use the i" grid for sighting in a new scope then its circles.for turkey i dowloaded some turkey anatommy targets to pattern my shotgun.for everything else i use live critters
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-20-2007, 01:00 AM

For muzzleloader I get cardboard from work, for rifle I use the new color impact sheets, you can see where the bullet hit from a long way. For bow I use 3-D it looks like a deer and is the right size. Handgun I use body shape outline cutout targets.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:45 AM
B&C 160 Class

I think it is a good idea to practice shot placement on a look alike target. It's one thing to shoot at a target and another to shoot at a game animal. I forget where I bought them but several years ago I bought these cardboard deer targets for my grandson to pratice on. I really think it helped him prepare for the real thing by seeing something that looked like a deer when he looked down the sights and haveing to pick a spot on the deer in the kill zone rather than aim at a bullseye.

It must have worked because he is two bucks for two shots.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:54 AM
B&C 120 Class

well if you have you have oh id say bout 1o targets and and a bord you can post them on you could make it in a deer shape here lemme show u .=1 target

. .
. .

does that make sence?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:21 AM
B&C 140 Class

Timberghost, the only "full-size" target I've seen haven't been full size at all. They may have a photo of a deer, but it's about half-size. Personally, I think that does more harm than good because it gives an incorrect distance image. I like using cardboard - it's available and cheap. I'll take a piece and cut it to the right size. For example, for a cow elk I'll use a 46x28 piece. I don't bother drawing head or legs as I don't aim for them. Next, I draw a pencil line where the heart/lungs would be. (I can't see this line from the dictance at which I intend to shoot). I set up the targets at different ranges and shoot at where the heart/lungs area should be. Another good thing about this kind of preparation (unlike the half-size targets) is that it gives good practise gauging distance of animals, so that in a hunting situation, you'll be more able to judge proper hold-over.I remember my uncle ,who was in the army during viet nam show me how to use a shot gun for ...lets call it "defense"Well he would take a pice of cardboard4x8 and put it in the tree line.then we would stand about 40 yrds away and slowly advance .Do you know that shotgun rounds will skip off the ground if you hold at the right angle.we had double 00 buck and slugs by the time we got to 20 yards the cardboard was shot to hades.so i guess what im saying is cardboard makes a good target.I will through this in there .When i was given my first gun at 6 i was told ammo was expensive and to make every shot count.My dad built me a target box to trap the BB's and pellets so i could shoot everyday.Because i shot everyday ,still do im a marksmen. the key to good shooting is this.Breath control. squeeze the trigger never pull.and if you really want to become a good shoot use iron sights,as my dad and his dad befor him said "scopes is cheating".Dont get me wrong most of my guns have scopes now cuz im getting older but to learn iron sights is the way.anyway the key is repition.shoot with your prefered gun and shoot often.Another thing to do is to practice bringing your gun to your shoulder .this you can do at home .just make sure the gun is empty and close your eyes and bring the gun to your shoulder then open your eyse.you'll be amazed how often its not wher you can line up the sights,this trick is especially good for shotgunners who bird/ skeet shoot.try it andlet me know if im wrong.

Last edited by joel the signman; 12-22-2007 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:41 PM

I use a block for bow,
std. paper targets for rifle and ML'er.
and thumbtacks on a piece of plywood for precision practice.
and cardboard for handgun.

I have a link for free Downloadable targets to download and print,, if anyone is interested just "PM" me (private message)..
and I'll forward you the link

Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 AM
B&C 180 Class

let me tell you a stoey .My uncle who was in the army during viet nam taught me how you are supposed to use a shot gun.the idea of using cardboard is an excellent idea we used 4x8 sheets and stood them up in the tree line.then at 40 yards we started shooting double 00 buck and slug combos.Do you know that a slug will skip off the ground if you shoot at the right angle.and when it comes up .Mr johnson is in trouble.by the time we got to 20 yards the 4x8's were destroyed..Sorry to go off topic but i felt like sharing the story
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-22-2007, 09:46 AM

Dont lose that link bruce... That would be a good one we could put somewhere on the site. There are always hunters hunting for stuff like that.