The 6.5x55 is a sweetee... - Deer Hunting Forums
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

The 6.5x55 is a sweetee...

I was out at the range yesterday with a friend that brought his custom sporterized 6.5x55. I had never shot that calibre before and it sure didn't recoil like the 30-06s I always shoot. He was shoot factory 6.5x55s with a 139gr bullet. The groups fired by the rifle were nice, I am guessing that the velocity was around 2500-2600fps.

Karl
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM

Karl, I had a WW2 Swiss in 6.5x55. Very accurate bullet. Makes a fine deer getting round.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 10:00 AM
B&C 140 Class

I have a Swedish Mauser that I sporterized, but only to iron sights (no scope). Love the round. There are a group of cartridges in that range that are all anybody really needs, instead of hyper-magna-magnums.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

I sure made me reconsider a couple of rounds....

I never thought I would consider a rifle in 260 Rem, After shooting his mauser I would now consider getting a 260 Rem. It is just a modern version of the 6.5x55. I really liked the non existant recoil. Other than European manufacturers I don't see many new built rifles in 6.5x55.

Karl
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 12:25 PM
B&C 160 Class

I think are sensibility comes with age.Do i need my 300wsm for a whitetail? I believe CZ makes the beautiful old school 550 American in this caliber.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
B&C 140 Class

the 260 rem. is actually picking up in popularity. it has become standard shelf ammo in a lot of stores lately

Born on a mountain raised in a cave huntin and fishin is all I crave
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 04:46 AM

just don't get it with the boss system, the noise will take out your ear drums. My son sold his Browning A-bolt 260 due to the noise. It did however, shoot well.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

I know what you mean about muzzle brakes...

I agree that some rifles really need a muzzle brake. Any 50BMG calibre must have one or I won't shoot it. But some of the other rifles that are equiped with them sure are not fun to be next to on the range. I know some of these guys are hunters and I can't imagine shooting their magnum rifles with muzzle brakes without ear protection out in the field.

Karl
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 AM
B&C 140 Class

The Remington Model 7 in .243Win/.260Rem/7mm-08Rem is just about a perfect deer rifle for 90% of the people. Anyone who feels they need a muzzle brake on a .260 Rem has never stood next to one when your buddy shoots it off. Like Karl, I can see one on a .50BMG, but for almost all the other rifles out there I thinks it's overkill. There is no recoil on a .260 Rem to speak of. If folks are that recoil sensitive, they should bow hunt.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

My Boss's daughter didn't like the boss system.....

This last fall my Boss's daughter wanted to go Deer hunting. His brother had a cute little Browning A-bolt w/boss in 243 that she shot great. When the time came she made the shot on a nice sized doe and was proud of herself. The only negitive part was his daughter later complained that her ears were still ringing hours after the shot. In hindsight he said he never considered the fact that he should have brought ear plugs, the brake made the shot much louder. I know that I have a hearing loss as my family likes to remind me of constantly. I try to always double up when I am at the range to protect the hearing I have left.

Karl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode