Anybody have this rifle? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-08-2007, 09:37 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Anybody have this rifle?

So I'm new to hunting and ready to purchase my first rifle. I have done alot of research as far as brands and calibers and I think I have made a choice. I am very interested in the Mossberg ATR 100 30.06 or the .270. There are several reasons I like this gun, the main reason is the price. Money is not really an isssue but since I'm new to hunting there is alot of stuff that I would like purchase as well and I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I can get the gun from Walmart for $300 and then I planned on purchasing a leopold VX-III scope to round out the package. From what I've gathered the ATR 100 came out in 2005-2006 but I've been unable to find much in reviews other than 1 or 2 people saying it was a no frills rifle but was very accurate and built very solid. I am open to others brands as well; Howa, Savage, Remington and so on but the Mosseberg seems to be the best value. Keep in mind when I say I have to buy alot of hunting gear I mean alot, I have nothing of my own, my first hunt this year was all on borrowed stuff, so I really don't want to spend $500 -- $800 on just a rifle. Any input would great!!!!

Last edited by BukSeker; 12-08-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 PM
B&C 100 Class

I dont know much about thier rifles but I know they have awsome shotguns.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Scrub Buck

Not familiar with the Mossberg.
Consider this though, the purchase of a rifle is, for many, not all, a once or twice in a lifetime acquisition. Unless the weapon turns out to be a total piece of junk you will be shooting with it for the next 6-10 years, probably more, and it will always be a sentimental favorite.
Make sure that every time you open the case, that specific weapon you chose will make you smile.
Your guidelines sound solid. I spent almost as much on my scope as I did my .270, and now, 12 years later I still have a very dependable hunting rifle. For the type of hunting I do I just do not feel the need for another rifle, I really enjoy the one I have, my first one.
The price range you are stating, and your follow up statement that "money is not an issue" seem to carry some conflict.
Good choice on the scope, but for a couple hundred more bucks a whole new set of options will open in terms of quality rifle options.
Considering your start from scratch point of view, everything else you buy for deer hunting is secondary compared to the weapon you choose to hunt with.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineslinger View Post
Not familiar with the Mossberg.
Consider this though, the purchase of a rifle is, for many, not all, a once or twice in a lifetime acquisition. Unless the weapon turns out to be a total piece of junk you will be shooting with it for the next 6-10 years, probably more, and it will always be a sentimental favorite.
Make sure that every time you open the case, that specific weapon you chose will make you smile.
Your guidelines sound solid. I spent almost as much on my scope as I did my .270, and now, 12 years later I still have a very dependable hunting rifle. For the type of hunting I do I just do not feel the need for another rifle, I really enjoy the one I have, my first one.
The price range you are stating, and your follow up statement that "money is not an issue" seem to carry some conflict.
Good choice on the scope, but for a couple hundred more bucks a whole new set of options will open in terms of quality rifle options.
Considering your start from scratch point of view, everything else you buy for deer hunting is secondary compared to the weapon you choose to hunt with.
I see all your points and they are valid however being new to the sport I just don't see the reason to spend over a $1000 for rifle/scope when I can spend around $600-700 for something that will put the same size hole in the same type of animal. I am one of those guys that babies anything I buy so longevity of the rifle is not a concern of mine and if there is a mechanical failure with it down the road I'm not out $800. It seems that most people I talk to have anywhere from 2 to 10 guns in there cabinet so I'm sure as I get a little more into the sport I will be wanting more or diffferent types of rifles. But now I as I sit here and type this I'm realizing that the reason I'm reluctant to pull the trigger (no pun intended) on an expensive rifle is the wife is making me feel guilty about picking up another expensive hobby (atvs & snowmobiles). I think what will probally happen is I will purchase an expensive rifle and it will get snuck in through the basement window into the closet so wifey doesn't see, what wifey doesn't see wifey doesn't know!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Scrub Buck

If you're open to Savage, check out the Model 110. I've had 2 and I am not sure if I want to ever buy anything else.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:17 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAHunter View Post
If you're open to Savage, check out the Model 110. I've had 2 and I am not sure if I want to ever buy anything else.
I have looked at this rifle as well and it is an option. Are you using the scope that it comes with, like a stated earlier I will probally be purchasing a leopold scope but if the factory scope is satisfactory then I wouldn't spend the money on the Leopold and I could spend that money on other gear that I need. Keep the input coming guys this rookine appreciates it!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:26 AM
B&C 100 Class

My brother has over 2 grand in his rem. 22-250. He has a Leopold scope that is just awsome. It makes night look like day, but he spend almost $1000 on it alone. If you ask him he'll tell you that the scop was worth every dime, and the gun is too. He has a lot of cash tied up in that gun but he has no regrets about spending all of that money on just that one gun. Somethin to chew on.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 AM

I bought a Rem 710 30-06 from dicks sporting goods a few years ago for about $400. It came with a Bushnell scope and to this day it is still great. I could've bought the exact same setup from Walmart but their background clearance takes up to a couple days. Dicks took only a few minutes.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:00 AM
B&C 100 Class

Hi Friend,
You may wish to consider a second hand rifle from a local sporting goods store. I have nothing against mossberg, as they do have dependable shotguns, but I have no knowledge of their rifles.

I have hunted with a very dependable 303 british for years, and it only cost me $150.00 big ones. I also bought a 30.06 savage, bolt action, brand new at walmart, with a 3x9 bushnell scope, for $349.00, which is a good rifle, if you can handle the recoil.

Just a little something extra to think about.

AJHunter
Old 12-09-2007, 03:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

I've have also thought about 2nd hand rifles, anything to look for in particular when looking at a used rifles and does Dicks or Gander mountain offer used rifles? Those are the two closest stores that I would be able to check out. I have not ventured out in the stores yet because I want to decide what i want before I get there so they don't talk me into someting I really don't want or need.