Deer Hunting Forums banner

Anybody have this rifle?

7K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Father and Son Team 
#1 · (Edited)
So I'm new to hunting and ready to purchase my first rifle. I have done alot of research as far as brands and calibers and I think I have made a choice. I am very interested in the Mossberg ATR 100 30.06 or the .270. There are several reasons I like this gun, the main reason is the price. Money is not really an isssue but since I'm new to hunting there is alot of stuff that I would like purchase as well and I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I can get the gun from Walmart for $300 and then I planned on purchasing a leopold VX-III scope to round out the package. From what I've gathered the ATR 100 came out in 2005-2006 but I've been unable to find much in reviews other than 1 or 2 people saying it was a no frills rifle but was very accurate and built very solid. I am open to others brands as well; Howa, Savage, Remington and so on but the Mosseberg seems to be the best value. Keep in mind when I say I have to buy alot of hunting gear I mean alot, I have nothing of my own, my first hunt this year was all on borrowed stuff, so I really don't want to spend $500 -- $800 on just a rifle. Any input would great!!!!

#3 ·
Not familiar with the Mossberg.
Consider this though, the purchase of a rifle is, for many, not all, a once or twice in a lifetime acquisition. Unless the weapon turns out to be a total piece of junk you will be shooting with it for the next 6-10 years, probably more, and it will always be a sentimental favorite.
Make sure that every time you open the case, that specific weapon you chose will make you smile.
Your guidelines sound solid. I spent almost as much on my scope as I did my .270, and now, 12 years later I still have a very dependable hunting rifle. For the type of hunting I do I just do not feel the need for another rifle, I really enjoy the one I have, my first one.
The price range you are stating, and your follow up statement that "money is not an issue" seem to carry some conflict.
Good choice on the scope, but for a couple hundred more bucks a whole new set of options will open in terms of quality rifle options.
Considering your start from scratch point of view, everything else you buy for deer hunting is secondary compared to the weapon you choose to hunt with.

#4 ·
I see all your points and they are valid however being new to the sport I just don't see the reason to spend over a $1000 for rifle/scope when I can spend around $600-700 for something that will put the same size hole in the same type of animal. I am one of those guys that babies anything I buy so longevity of the rifle is not a concern of mine and if there is a mechanical failure with it down the road I'm not out $800. It seems that most people I talk to have anywhere from 2 to 10 guns in there cabinet so I'm sure as I get a little more into the sport I will be wanting more or diffferent types of rifles. But now I as I sit here and type this I'm realizing that the reason I'm reluctant to pull the trigger (no pun intended) on an expensive rifle is the wife is making me feel guilty about picking up another expensive hobby (atvs & snowmobiles). I think what will probally happen is I will purchase an expensive rifle and it will get snuck in through the basement window into the closet so wifey doesn't see, what wifey doesn't see wifey doesn't know!!!

#6 ·
I have looked at this rifle as well and it is an option. Are you using the scope that it comes with, like a stated earlier I will probally be purchasing a leopold scope but if the factory scope is satisfactory then I wouldn't spend the money on the Leopold and I could spend that money on other gear that I need. Keep the input coming guys this rookine appreciates it!

#7 ·
My brother has over 2 grand in his rem. 22-250. He has a Leopold scope that is just awsome. It makes night look like day, but he spend almost $1000 on it alone. If you ask him he'll tell you that the scop was worth every dime, and the gun is too. He has a lot of cash tied up in that gun but he has no regrets about spending all of that money on just that one gun. Somethin to chew on.

#8 ·
I bought a Rem 710 30-06 from dicks sporting goods a few years ago for about $400. It came with a Bushnell scope and to this day it is still great. I could've bought the exact same setup from Walmart but their background clearance takes up to a couple days. Dicks took only a few minutes.

#9 ·
Hi Friend,
You may wish to consider a second hand rifle from a local sporting goods store. I have nothing against mossberg, as they do have dependable shotguns, but I have no knowledge of their rifles.

I have hunted with a very dependable 303 british for years, and it only cost me $150.00 big ones. I also bought a 30.06 savage, bolt action, brand new at walmart, with a 3x9 bushnell scope, for $349.00, which is a good rifle, if you can handle the recoil.

Just a little something extra to think about.

AJHunter

#10 ·
I've have also thought about 2nd hand rifles, anything to look for in particular when looking at a used rifles and does Dicks or Gander mountain offer used rifles? Those are the two closest stores that I would be able to check out. I have not ventured out in the stores yet because I want to decide what i want before I get there so they don't talk me into someting I really don't want or need.

#15 ·
Ok I can solve all your problems. Get ya a Ruger #1 220-swift (or whatever cal. you want) I have one in a 220-swift and it is awsome, and they resale prety nice I think. Or a Rem. 7mm mag. I like that one because you can kill just about anything north of the Rio Grand at just about any range. But if your a smaler feller you may wana put some lead in your pockets, and hold on, it WILL give you scope-eye in a heartbeat.

#16 ·
I've looked at the Remington 7mm and have considered it an option, I've heard that Ruger makes a nice rifle but have not reasearched that particular model. I'm a rather big guy (6'5" 220lbs) so I'm not to concerned with the recoil at this point, I think if I shot every weekend then it would be an issue. I called my local Gander Mountain to see if they had any used guns in stock and they do so I will be heading there this week. I'm really hoping they have something that is almost brand new and possibly a scoped package for $600-700 range. I was going to go less on a rifle and invest in a leopold scope but I would settle for a nice gently used package for the right price. Thanks for all the options you guys have been sending my way, I never would've thought of some of these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.