Trail Monitoring System - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Trail Monitoring System

Anybody tried those trail monitoring system that let you know if a deer is coming your way via a reciever that clips your belt. The only reason I ask is because I'm new to hunting and just recently had my first hunt in a pop up ground blind and loved it other than a few things. Where I hunt and will be hunting in the future there is a hill about 30yrds to the south, very thick tree/brush line to the west about 10 yrds away, there is field about 75yrds to the east and a road about 80 yrds to the north. So needless to say I don't have much notice if one is coming my way. I will not hunt in a stand due to a death of a close friend who fell out of one during bow season. Where I'm setup I really depend on sound to here if something is coming my way, and with the wind and the propane heater going it's tough to hear every little foot step. so I saw one of these in Cabelas and thought that would be a good way to know what direction a deer is going so I constantly don't have to keep looking all the over the place and scanning 360 degrees every second.
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM

I've never heard of that but it sounds pretty cool, high tech but cool. So this device, does it alert you of an animal approaching from any/all directions or what? If it is something to bring positive vibes to your hunting experience then go for it. You did say that you don't have much notice if one is coming your way. Very sorry to hear about the loss of your close friend.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 PM
B&C 180 Class

new toys ,why not
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
I've never heard of that but it sounds pretty cool, high tech but cool. So this device, does it alert you of an animal approaching from any/all directions or what? If it is something to bring positive vibes to your hunting experience then go for it. You did say that you don't have much notice if one is coming your way. Very sorry to hear about the loss of your close friend.
I appreciate your thoughts. The system works like this, you have a reciever that you keep on yourself and then there 3 transmitters that the kit comes with. You attach the transmitters to a tree in several locations and if something crosses the signal it will alert you what zone is being triggered, I assume it works similar to those home systems that lets you know if someone is coming up your driveway. According to the kit it will recieve a signal from 500 ft or more. I've seen it on Cabelas for $180 and on ebay for $49.99(different brand). If there is one thing I've learned in my almost 30 years is, you get what pay for. I think I might order one and test it around the yard and see if actually will provide lead time to game coming. Once I try it out I'll let you guys know how it works.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:27 PM
B&C 140 Class

never heard of such a thing
Old 12-04-2007, 05:37 PM
B&C 180 Class

i suppose it could work ya might get a lot of false alarms from birds the wind etc but hey if it makes ya feel good while hunting and keeps ya out there ya stand a better chance whats 50$ in the overall picture anyway
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-04-2007, 08:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

Ya I thought about the false alarms but atleast it will keep my anticipation going. I think that is what I loved most about my first hunt this year, everytime I heard a noise I about crapped myself with excitment thinking a deer was trottin' thru. Just the anticipation alone could keep me out in the blind all day, I don't know if thats a rookie thing or if that feeling never goes away.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 PM

That feeling may never go away!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM
B&C 180 Class

thats part of the thrill
Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 AM
B&C 100 Class

Lol mine has turned to agrevation, those stinkin deer where I hunt are screwin whith my head.