Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   Left handed Rifles? (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/1151-left-handed-rifles.html)

billandalisha 11-28-2007 02:30 PM

Left handed Rifles?

Hi, I am interested in buying a rifle...but I hardly know anything about them. All I know for sure I want
  • to make a clean kill up to 200 yards away or more
  • something that would be nice to use during target shooting
  • Would be nice to have a chamber in it
  • left handed
Now..I just noticed when I was looking on the internet. They make left handed scopes to. Any point of view on that? I would think left handed and right handed scopes would be the same?

Any input?

buckslayer30/06 11-28-2007 04:27 PM

brand wise i would use a ruger in a 30/06 or 308 for best results. im not really sure what they make for left handed rifles but im sure they have some most all rifle companys do... check out rugers website at Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. let me know what you find.

critter gitter 11-28-2007 05:25 PM

Remington model 700 LH

timberghost 11-28-2007 06:01 PM

I have a somewhat painful response for you. Afew years ago I had 5 deer crashing around my stand and the one doing most of the crashing was a fine looking 8 pt and I was trying like heck to squirm silently in the stand to get a shot. Well after most of the deer ran off the buck stopped about 75 yds to my right, way right. So instead of trying to twist myself in half trying get a right handed shot I thought I'd be clever and pull off a lefty shot. I aimed steadily just like normal and shot. I hit the buck far back (guts) and he went tearing off crazily and I knew that I was in trouble. I gave quite some time then went to look for blood, tracks, fur, anything. I found a slight trail of blood and tracks and moved on it just a little ways and I ended up kicking the deer up with hid guts literally dragging on the ground. Right then and there I backed out, went home and called my old man. We looked for 2 days and found nothing and we were both very familiar with the area. A long story but I learned that my first time shooting left was my last time. I don't know if it was a case of what eyes dominant or the scope was adjusted to my right eye or what?

jamie234561 11-28-2007 06:39 PM

id say a 280 remington, and you have the option of left handed models

billandalisha 11-29-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timberghost (Post 6437)
I have a somewhat painful response for you. Afew years ago I had 5 deer crashing around my stand and the one doing most of the crashing was a fine looking 8 pt and I was trying like heck to squirm silently in the stand to get a shot. Well after most of the deer ran off the buck stopped about 75 yds to my right, way right. So instead of trying to twist myself in half trying get a right handed shot I thought I'd be clever and pull off a lefty shot. I aimed steadily just like normal and shot. I hit the buck far back (guts) and he went tearing off crazily and I knew that I was in trouble. I gave quite some time then went to look for blood, tracks, fur, anything. I found a slight trail of blood and tracks and moved on it just a little ways and I ended up kicking the deer up with hid guts literally dragging on the ground. Right then and there I backed out, went home and called my old man. We looked for 2 days and found nothing and we were both very familiar with the area. A long story but I learned that my first time shooting left was my last time. I don't know if it was a case of what eyes dominant or the scope was adjusted to my right eye or what?

This is why I'm planning to do a lot of target shooting before shooting my first deer. So i can get the feel of my new baby :wub:

timberghost 11-29-2007 08:56 AM

That's the way to do it. You'll end up knowing your rifle better than your best friend. I never ever switch calibers, I always stick to my 06. I love it and it loves me. HA HA HA HA

Northwood's Outdoors 11-30-2007 08:28 AM

I personally am a lefty also. My current weapon of liking.

Remington Model 700 BDL
30-06 Bolt Action
Stainless with laminated stock
Leopold VariX-II 3-9

This gun for me has been very tight. I love shooting it, however it runs around 700 for starters.

stjones1102 11-30-2007 06:03 PM

I like my pop's ruger no.1 .220 swift because it is a ambidextrous rifle and I am left eye dominant. And yes does mater which eye is dominant, shooting with your "off" eye will cause a bad shot as timberghost learned the hard way.

timberghost 11-30-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stjones1102 (Post 6540)
I like my pop's ruger no.1 .220 swift because it is a ambidextrous rifle and I am left eye dominant. And yes does mater which eye is dominant, shooting with your "off" eye will cause a bad shot as timberghost learned the hard way.

Thanks for the clarification, my buddies all said that I just can't shoot for dung, but I knew there was a different more reasonable explanation for that.:wallbash::crybaby::mad: