Buying a new rifle...need opinions. - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Scrub Buck

Default 270 rifle

could you tell me exackly what is bore sighting, how far should i bore sight it and what is the knock down range for a 270 with 130 grain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 09:59 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Bore Sighting

First, you can only bore sight a bolt action because you have to remove the bolt and actually look down the barrel. Set up a target at 25 yards and put your rifle on a good solid rest, sand bags work well. Look down the barrel while you adjust your rifle and bags until the bull of the target looks exactly centered in the barrel. Without moving anything, look through your scope to see where the crosshairs are located on the target. Most likely they will be off the bull. If you have to make a left or right adjustment, and your mount is capable of making them (usually by loosening a mounting screw on one side of the base while tightening the opposite screw) do that first. Remember to keep peeking down the barrel while you do this to be sure the bull is still in the center. Make final adjustments by using the windage and elevation screws of the scope. When you do this, it will look like the bull is moving closer and closer to the center of the crosshairs. When everything is lined up, take a shot at twenty-five yards. If you've done everything right, you should hit the paper. Make any other adjustments that are necessary to hit the bull, then try shooting at a new target at 100 yards, and you should at least, be close to the bull.
It helps if you know how the minute of angle adjustments work on your scope. Some are quarter inch meaning that one "click" will move the impact of the bullet one quarter of an inch @ 100 yards. So, for example, if your bullet is 3 inches to the left at 100 yards, you would have to move 12 "clicks" to the "R" direction. Keep in mind that because your twenty-five yards target is four times closer than the one hundred yard target, you will have to quadruple your adjustments when you are shooting @ 25 yards. That is, if you are hitting 3 inches to your left @ twenty-five yards, you will have to move 48 "clicks" to the "R" direction to hit the bull. Hope this helps.
The .270 with 130 grain bullets will kill a deer-size animal out to 500 yards. In fact most calibers will kill the game for which they are intended at ranges much farther than most hunters can accurately shoot. Be sure to know what YOUR capabilities, and don't shoot at anything beyond that. If you count on luck to hit something that's way out there, you are not respecting the animal. And, if by chance you score (you most likely won't) YOU haven't accomplished a damn thing.

Last edited by onehorse; 12-16-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Scrub Buck

Smile Bore Sighting

A bore sighter is handy to have, but I bought one of the el cheapo laser sighters that are all over the net, and it wasnt even close, dont waste your money on the cheapos!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Scrub Buck

I will give you some information that speaks for itself. A 2006 survey of North American Law Enforcement Agencies indicates that 86% of police snipers use a Remmington Model 700 chambered in .308. There must be a reason for that......
Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 PM
B&C 180 Class

thats all well and good if your hunting peoplewe're deer hunting ya dont need that much knockdown power.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-30-2007, 01:24 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
thats all well and good if your hunting peoplewe're deer hunting ya dont need that much knockdown power.
Joel I think bmartin's point was that the Rem 700 is a very accurate rifle. I've had lots of them and they are good shooters. As for caliber, you can't get a much better one for deer than the the old .308 Win. I killed my first deer with one forty years ago.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Man onehorse there's alot of experience behind those eyes, you ever messed with a Rem 710 30-06, if so what is your views on it? That's what I use and I think think it's the best.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Man onehorse there's alot of experience behind those eyes, you ever messed with a Rem 710 30-06, if so what is your views on it? That's what I use and I think think it's the best.
timberghost, here's the most important thing to remember about what is the best rifle: the best rifle is whatever works best for you. If you think the Rem 710 is the best, you are already thinking in a positive way. That kind of confidence will give you a big edge when the "moment of truth" comes along. Don't take the bait and get tricked into debating what is the best rifle/caliber combination as everybody has their favorites. Just tell folks what works for you and why you like it.

Last edited by onehorse; 12-30-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:54 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehorse View Post
Joel I think bmartin's point was that the Rem 700 is a very accurate rifle. I've had lots of them and they are good shooters. As for caliber, you can't get a much better one for deer than the the old .308 Win. I killed my first deer with one forty years ago.
yeah i know i just like to have some fun once and awhile
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Scrub Buck

i hunt with a rem 700 270 and i love it