Gun Jammed - Lost Deer - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-27-2007, 11:47 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Gun Jammed - Lost Deer

I just returned from a hunt in Western NY. I had a 150# 6 pointer come in back of my stand chasing 4 does. I shot him but hit too far forward as he was quartering away. I believe I hit the front left scapula too far forward and it bounced out of the brisket area. I should have aimed further back to hit the vitals.He hobbled under my stand and then stood in front of my stand for 5 minutes. I could not get a 2nd shot because my .35 Remington Marlin 336 lever action jammed. This was a first. I tracked the deer (no blood) and put it up once about 200 yards down the hill. Got dark and had to leave. I went back the next day to track but never found it. I can only hope that the deer was harvested. I had many opportunities to take does but passed. Anyone that has lost a deer due to a rushed shot or mechanical failure know's how I am feeling...terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 12:17 PM

WHAT, WESTERN NEW YORK, I'LL GO GET HIM! Nah just kidding, hey man don't feel bad it's all a human quality "we all make mistakes". I have yet to meet "the perfect hunter". It's happened to me before and him, him, him, him, him, and her too. You never know that same deer could've killed himself that same night chasing does right into the front end of a truck. At least you tried your darndest to track him down. Probably made a good snack for coyotes or mountain lion, but that's nature for you. Head up, remember the experience and see if there is something to learn from it, cuz if it dint kill ya itll only make ya stronger.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM

Well said timberghost. I know the feeling. Good effort on the tracking part of it. Thats a good gun and i cant beleive it jammed. It picked a fine time to jam on ya. It stinks how it usually works out like that. You can shoot it all day at the range and not have the first problem. But you put a deer in your sights and that will be the one time it messes up. Better luck next time.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
B&C 180 Class

not trying to be a smart butt but are you sure it jammed ive heard countless cases where people swore the gun jammed they actually shot all the rounds out of it in a buckfever.did you put more than 1 round in it?how'd it jam didnt eject?stovepipe?wouldnt cycle?Like i said im not doubting you or starting trouble just curious
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky

Last edited by buckfever; 11-28-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:52 AM
B&C 120 Class

It was a definite jam. I was loaded 5+1 in the chamber. The jam occurred after the 1st shot. The bullet was lodged halfway on the ejector with the lever stuck open. I initially thought that when I ejected the first shell I did not completly cycle the lever to the wall however the gun jammed again when I was testing it in my workshop a few days later. I now think I need to disassemble and clean to fix.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozman62 View Post
It was a definite jam. I was loaded 5+1 in the chamber. The jam occurred after the 1st shot. The bullet was lodged halfway on the ejector with the lever stuck open. I initially thought that when I ejected the first shell I did not completly cycle the lever to the wall however the gun jammed again when I was testing it in my workshop a few days later. I now think I need to disassemble and clean to fix.
That stinks!!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 PM
B&C 180 Class

just checking figured it was the case that stinks .murphy strikes again
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Scrub Buck

Wow That Stinks!! I Haven't Lost A Deer Yet But I Have Only Shot At 1 Lol So There Was No Blood Or Tracks?

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 12-04-2007 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:41 PM
B&C 180 Class

ahh the arrogance of the newbie with a first kill just busting em pegasso
Old 12-04-2007, 10:21 AM
B&C 120 Class

Your both killing me! I ain't done yet. I got a few more days of rifle season in NH. The area I plan to hunt is shotgun only/buck only so the odds are against me. Sometimes you get that feeling that today's the day. Friday AM is the day. Stay tuned for pics.