Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   Advice on 1st rifle (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/11185-advice-1st-rifle.html)

sgospodarek 03-22-2013 11:08 AM

Advice on 1st rifle

Just joined, hoping to start hunting next season. I hope this question isnt somewhere else that i missed.

I am going to buy a .270 bolt action rifle for mostly deer hunting. From my research the Howa Hogue, Weatherby Vanguard 2, Savage 116 and Remington 700 all interest me. I dont want to spend a ton of money for my first rifle, but want quality. I also dont want to buy a $400 rifle and after one season wish i would have bought an $800 rifle. I want one to last me a good long time. I've looked at brownings, and not really sure what makes them cost so much more. What would you folks recommend?

Thanks for any advice.

gfdeputy2 03-22-2013 12:13 PM

Don't forget to look at the Rugers
I own a M77 all weather in .270 & is a great shooter
also bought my daughter the Ruger american in a .308 & to be honest I Like the American better shoots as good or better then the M77 has a adjustable set trigger & is light weight with not much kick only drawback to the american is no iron sights but I scope all my rifles anyway so no big deal

sgospodarek 03-22-2013 12:16 PM

I like the Ruger line as well. i should mention i am looking or a rifle that does not come in a package. I have a scope, Bushnell Bone Collector DOA Elite.

3212 03-22-2013 01:56 PM

I Like the Ruger.I bought one several years ago in .243.Even with a 161/2 inch barrel its very accurate.I've taken two deer with it .It has a stainless barrel and laminated stock.I carry it in wet weather and when walking in thick brush.

Karl.Luhr 03-22-2013 03:41 PM

Don't forget the Marlin XS7 or XL7

I have already said this several times on this forum so sorry team but here it is again. I feel that for the money ~300.xx you can not find a better rifle than the Marlin bolt actions. You will find a solid action, good barrel, and a clean trigger. I really don't think the Ruger American is any better for the up charge of 50-100 dollars. The only advantage with the Ruger is that you get a detachable magazine inplace of the blind floorplate with the Marlin. You have already picked your caliber of 270 Win, it is one of the greats for Deer hunting. I don't think that there really is any difference on the Deer when comparing 270 Win, 280 Rem, 308 Win, or 30-06. I have setup several of these Marlin XL7s in 30-06 for hunters and I would not hessitate to buy another, they are everything you need. Check gunbroker.com for prices that they are going for, and watch the newspaper adds. When they go onsale locally they are usually around 300 dollars.

Karl

Hunting Man 03-22-2013 06:10 PM

I would not purchase a $400.00 rifle if i could afford a $800.00 one. Browning makes a great rifle that with good care will hold it's value better than most production rifles out there. You really have to decide on what your budget is and then what rifles fit in it. I like real wood not composite material. Budget rifles are budget rifles for a reason. Purchase with-in your budget and hopefully you are pleased for a long time.

gfdeputy2 03-22-2013 07:20 PM

OK one question & not being a jerk but has anyone tried the American rifle
I have both top of the line ruger & the so called bottom line & like I have said the american shoots as well as the top of the line ruger will it last as long time will tell but I can say for now I would not spend the long dollar just cause it costs more just my .02

Karl.Luhr 03-22-2013 09:08 PM

Top line rifles, you are getting more but it costs....

It seems that there is a real big gap between the entry level rifles 300-400 dollars and the high end ones 700-900 dollars. The exeption are the Remington SPS series and the Weatherby Vangards those are running around 500 dollars with synth stocks. I myself would much rather have the Winchester 70 Featherweight or a Ruger 77 Hawkeye at around 800. These are ones that will not take a back seat to anything offered over a lifetime. Yes Custom rifles will always upstage them but the price of admission is add another thousand at least. For a new hunter/shooter your tastes may change and tieing up a ton of cash on a particular rifle might not be a good choice. That is why I recommended the Marlin. All the rifles offered for the most part will not be bad choices. I would avoid the entry level Savage axis and the Remington M710/770s. Don't be in a hurry do alot of comparisons and ask the various gunshop sales techs. Everyone will have their own idea of what the best is. Something will feel the best to you.

Karl

Hellbilly 03-22-2013 09:11 PM

the ruger m77 and all american or both good rifles. the Howa is a nice one also.remington has lost alot in quality control,never know if you will get a good one or not. Im not into the weatherby hype,dont really care for them. savage makes fine rifles also. As for the browning,I use a browning abolt in 270. the differance in a browning and others is like buying a lincoln or a pickup truck. while they both will get you were you wanna go,how do you wanna get there. if you use a browning you will see fast..................Browning,ruger m77, ruger all american,howa,savage,remington,weatherby. in that order IMHO :thumbup:

Hunting Man 03-23-2013 05:06 AM

Browning X-bolts, A-bolts are both great looking and damm good shooting rifles. As I have posted in the past, there are 1000's of great rifles in the used market that can be fantastic buys if you are patient. For the money..... nothing beats the Remington model 700 mountain rifle.