Deer Hunting Forums banner

Advice on 1st rifle

9K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  sgospodarek 
#1 ·
Just joined, hoping to start hunting next season. I hope this question isnt somewhere else that i missed.

I am going to buy a .270 bolt action rifle for mostly deer hunting. From my research the Howa Hogue, Weatherby Vanguard 2, Savage 116 and Remington 700 all interest me. I dont want to spend a ton of money for my first rifle, but want quality. I also dont want to buy a $400 rifle and after one season wish i would have bought an $800 rifle. I want one to last me a good long time. I've looked at brownings, and not really sure what makes them cost so much more. What would you folks recommend?

Thanks for any advice.

#29 ·
very nice. savage makes nice rifles. what cal. did ya get her in? beings its an American classic I guess its a wood stock. I love wood stocks. every rifle I have gotten with a composite stock never stayed around long. Also as said above try out differant ammo brands and weights until you find the sweet spot

#31 ·
Most users start with the 130gr in 270 Win

Most of the lovers of the 270 Win use the 130gr load on Deer from what I remember. You have the option of the heavier 150gr load, I think that is what most use on Elk. The people that use the 140gr have something that splits the difference. I hope the weather is breaking where you are, it finally is here in MN. I have been to the range a couple of times now, it was a long winter....

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.