Advice on 1st rifle - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-23-2013, 05:29 AM

I can't add much more than what everyone else already stated except look at the Mossberg 4x4 model, depending on which stock you prefer it ranges from approx. 380.00 to 560.00 Dollars,
your stock choices are laminate, walnut or synthetic. the 4x4 offers a lot of features including a fluted barrel, adjustable trigger and factory installed weaver scope base.
Here's a pic of the Mossberg 4x4 with the Laminate stock. Good Luck

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 03-23-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 06:22 AM
B&C 160 Class

I agree with Karls post but would like to add a rifle.The Thomphson Venture is a great rifle.I just purchased a Venture 308 with the weathershield finish and they are great guns with a great warranty.A plain jane Venture is about 425 from Buds guns.Good luck and the Marlin x7 is a great shooter also.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
the ruger m77 and all american or both good rifles. the Howa is a nice one also.remington has lost alot in quality control,never know if you will get a good one or not. Im not into the weatherby hype,dont really care for them. savage makes fine rifles also. As for the browning,I use a browning abolt in 270. the differance in a browning and others is like buying a lincoln or a pickup truck. while they both will get you were you wanna go,how do you wanna get there. if you use a browning you will see fast..................Browning,ruger m77, ruger all american,howa,savage,remington,weatherby. in that order IMHO
I guess my question as to what makes Brownings worth so much more money, is that i have to shoot others then shoot a Browning to see the difference?

I appreciate all of the advice. I have ACademy, Dicks and Cabelas coming soon near me. I think waiting for an sale in one of those places is probably the best bet? Gunbroker seems to be going over retail lately.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

oh yea dont forget mossberg,they have some nice rifle.Also one to check out is the marlin X7. also remember that marlin is owned by Remington/Freedom Group/Cerberus. if your not formiliar with that then anybody needs to do a google search and read about that. scary
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM

Another thought I've had on this subject is that over the years the rifles that I continue to keep are the ones that are nice to look at, great wood, maybe an off caliber in a lever action, something that makes it stand out. I know for many hunters the firearm is simply a tool for an end purpose so that low cost is the main object. Those are the guns that don't sit long with me and the ones that won't hold much re-sale value, if one thinks along those terms. I won't argue that beauty is in the eye of the owner, but a plastic stocked no frills run of the mill rifle just doesn't cut it for me. You can probably tell that I lean towards the collector side of guns, vintage I guess, like me . I'll take the best grade wood stocked rifle I can afford and know it will be one that I pass down through the family and one that begs me to shoot it. Maybe like the guy with a 63 split window corvette in the garage, kinda wish I could afford one of those. Some rifles are like vintage wine they only get better with time! Be patient and think hard what you want in a rifle before a mistake is made.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Scrub Buck

I would really like a wood stock, they are beautiful. But i would not write off synthetics just because of looks.

what do you guys think about hinged floorplates vs. detachable boxes?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM

I have both & I like the detachable Mag myself
quicker, quieter & easier to operate

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 03-25-2013, 04:14 PM

I have both, drop mags are more user friendly, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me though.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 AM

Agree with HM would not make or break a deal for me either but the mag is a heck of a lot easier in cold weather with gloves on then a floorplate but I think the floor plate gives a rifle a better look

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 AM
B&C 160 Class

I like the box easy to unload but thats just personal preference.Two beautiful old school guns like HM talks about are the Thompson Icon and the Cz 550.All wood and steel.I have a icon and love it and the Cz is on my get list.They might be outta your price range tho.