Deer Hunting Forums banner

Need a new gun, opinions please

8K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  10 point 
#1 ·
I dont have much to hunt with so im trying to get a new gun. I shot a .243 and a 30-30 the other day and I believe I couldnt handle something a little larger. I will be useing the gun for long shots in the field and shorter shots in the woods. I dont know hardley anything about guns so I need some advise. But HOORAY I did kill my first deer a 6 pointer.

#2 ·
congrats on your first kill.what did you use?the debate on which gun is a old one everyone has different opinions.use what feels good to you.Oh yeah welcome to the club from NYC:bye:

#4 · (Edited)
Thankx!!! I shot my 6 pointer with a bow. I guess the question that I should ask is... What gun would I have the best luck as far as seeing blood or droping them where I shoot? It doesnt have to be a .243 or a 30-30 I just need something that I dont have to worry about losing my meat because of the fact I cant find blood to track the deer.:confused: The only gun that I have to use right now is a .22 long rifle and I not sure if its legal to shoot a deer with that in NC. I also dont wont to do that to the deer. I could use a 12 guage thats my boyfriends but Ive never shot it but I wont to get something that can cover some distance.

#6 ·
Both good choices. I think the deciding factor will be how long your longest shots will be. The 30-30 loses accuracy out past 200 yds, whereas the .243 is good to 300+.

My nephew dropped a deer with his 30-30 on opening day. Hit a little low and just behind the shoulder joint. It ran about 20 yds and dropped deader than disco. The bullet went through the animal and completely took out the heart.

Seen a lot of deer killed with the 30-30.

#8 ·
My soon to be wife has shot my 270. and has no problem with the recoil and i have used it for the past 6 years and never had a deer run more then 50 yards however my longest shot to date with it is only 280 yds but i am told that it has knock down power well past that. My brothers wife shoots a 243. and she has never lost a deer and it is the perfect gun for her mostly because of her size and it is about all she could handle. but you should try and borrow one from a friend and she how you like shooting whatever gun you decide to by so you know ahead of time what you are getting in to. and that is my 2 cents

#11 ·
thats a good friend ,offer to buy some ammo,its expensive so its nice to be asked,ya know?:wink:

#13 ·
still not sure

Well over the weekend I got to shoot a 30-06,a .308, a pump 12 gauge, a .270 and a .243. But I cant decide which I like the best. I think I like the 30-06 the best but I'm not sure, so if anybody can tell me which one would be the best for kinda long shot and some shorter shots that may have to go through a little brush, I would greatly appreciate any comments and suggestions.:confused:

#14 ·
30-06 you can buy ammo anywhere and it'll handle any game in north america:wink:

#15 ·
30-30s and 30/06s are two of the most popular guns for hunting deer. I have been using a Rem 7mm mag, probobly has a bit more kick than what your looking. (altho I have not shot a deer at all so I am not sure what it would do, but there would be a lot of blood to follow, it is still in one piece) I also like a 220 swift or a 22-250, both good deer rifles and accurate for good distances. Give those two a shot (no pun intended) and see what ya think.

#22 ·
The range is going to be determined by the Bullet manufacturer and the load (bullet) you are using.
When comparing Hunting weapons the final results between the .270 and the .30-06 are that they both perform close to each other.
When deciding on either the .270 or the .30-06 you can be certain you chose a great hunting weapon, no matter which one you choose.

My personal choice would be the .270

Good Luck

#19 ·
get your friend to let you shoot some different size bulletts through the same gun .. bullett grain weight will make a big difference in comfort to the shooter.. Ie a 30-06 in 140 grain is smooth as silk but the same gun shooting a 180 or 200 gr bullett will rock a veteran shooter. little food for thought.. If it was my money I would go with a savage bolt action 30-06 or 270 either one would be great all around guns. enexpensive and reliable.. good luck and congratts on your harvest..

#20 ·
that will be limited more by the shooter than the gun... most any bolt 30-06 will shoot better than most shooters abillity.. with a little range time to get to know your rifle you should be able to hit a plate size target at 250-300 yards.. I dont know what your experience with a long gun is but I always recomend a little one on one time with a compentent instructer to get a basic operating and shooting class. good hunting

#21 ·
I am a biased toward the .270.
It is one flat shooting caliber out to 350+yds. as well as being a good rifle for stalking and close up work. The recoil is very forgiving, less than a 12 GA. in my estimation, and the ammo is as common as a 30.06.
I shoot a 140 gr. bullet, and if shot placement is correct it is a devastating round.
I have made shots from a solid rest up to and beyond 325 yds. and those deer dropped like a sack of hammers.
You do need to practice with the gun and be confident in what it will do. I sight mine in at 1.5 inches high at 100yds. This puts me dead on at 200 yds.
I simply hold an inch or more high of my point of aim at longer distances.
If you will be doing a fair amount of field shooting I strongly endorse the .270.

#23 ·
I got my new gun

Well I decided to go with the 30-06. I got a savage 110 model, 30-06 bolt action. I got the one with the simmons scope(3x9x40), its supose to be already bore sighted in, but I checked it and it was almost perfect. I am shooting a 150 grain bullet, I have alot of practicing to do but hopefully by next season I will see many oportunitys to use it. Season is up in the county that I hunt in but not where my brother lives so maybe I will get a chance to shoot a deer with it this year. Thankx everyone for the advise!!!

#24 ·
congrats on your new rifle hopefully It'll serve you well for many moons

#25 ·
Excellent choice.. :pickle: Good luck with it, I'm sure it's going to give you many years of memorable hunting trips before you decide it's time for another rifle.
Don't forget, if you get that chance to hunt at your brothers and get a Deer, we like seeing pics. :biggrin:
Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.