what am I doing wrong? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 PM
BruceBruce1959's Avatar
BruceBruce1959 BruceBruce1959 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 5,438
Default

Hey Pegasso, Greetings from Vermont. Welcome to the site and Congratulations on that Spike, It's a fine looking first deer but then again they're all fine looking to me... AND you're absolutely right, If you go to where the deer are, eventually you will get a shot... persistance and patience is the key to whitetail success...
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2007, 09:26 PM
joel the signman's Avatar
joel the signman joel the signman is offline
B&C 180 Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 3,608
Default

congrats on your first deer now the fun part.eating it
__________________
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Pegasso's Avatar
Pegasso Pegasso is offline
Scrub Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Posts: 8
Default

Ooohhhh Yeahhhhhh
That Is What I Am About To Eat Right Know

I Went Deer Hunting Today And Nothing Came Out Except This!! A Javalina
As We Were Leaving My Wife Asked Me What Is That It Was About 200 Yds Away And Shot It Right On The Spot!
Now We Have Meet For Tamales!!
I Am Really Getting Into Hunting!
Greetings From The Rio Grande Valley!!!

Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2007, 09:46 PM
stjones1102 stjones1102 is offline
B&C 100 Class
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
AND you're absolutely right, If you go to where the deer are, eventually you will get a shot... persistance and patience is the key to whitetail success...
If thats the case Im well due for my first kill, Iv been almost every day and most days Iv been twice a day (Dawn and Dusk). All Iv seen is one doe (that i missed because the last person to shoot that gun was nice enought to mess up the scope and not tell anyone). But i enjoy being out in the wild so much that I dont really care if I get one Its just good to get out in the wild once or twice a day. My dad told me today "if you dont get one this season it wont be from a lack of tryin!"

btw goin again in the A.M. before work haha wish me luck!
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 PM
timberghost's Avatar
timberghost timberghost is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: western new york
Posts: 3,918
Default

Hey Pegasso you are on a roll here. Congrats on your hog, keep the pics coming.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2007, 11:14 PM
joel the signman's Avatar
joel the signman joel the signman is offline
B&C 180 Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 3,608
Default

thats why you dont lend out your gun
__________________
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2007, 06:11 AM
BruceBruce1959's Avatar
BruceBruce1959 BruceBruce1959 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 5,438
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjones1102 View Post
If thats the case Im well due for my first kill, Iv been almost every day and most days Iv been twice a day (Dawn and Dusk). All Iv seen is one doe (that i missed because the last person to shoot that gun was nice enought to mess up the scope and not tell anyone). But i enjoy being out in the wild so much that I dont really care if I get one Its just good to get out in the wild once or twice a day. My dad told me today "if you dont get one this season it wont be from a lack of tryin!"

btw goin again in the A.M. before work haha wish me luck!
greetings stjones, there are times that no matter what you do or how hard you hunt, the Deer are going to manage to stay one step ahead of you the whole season.
I've been hunting 34 years and I can tell you first hand you might not get a Deer every year.
So far this year I've hunted the Vermont Bow season (No deer) and I've hunted the Vermont Rifle season (and again No deer) NOW I'm hunting our Muzzleloader Season and still No Deer yet... of course I get a little frustrated at times but that's just human nature. I still have these final days to harvest a deer, this is what I refer to as Patience. Hunting 3 full seasons here in vermont, that's what I refer to as Persistance....
If you get a Deer before work today,,, We like seeing pics... *hint *hint
God Luck to you..
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 AM
joel the signman's Avatar
joel the signman joel the signman is offline
B&C 180 Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 3,608
Default

good point BB i hunted state land for the first couple years and i was lucky to see a deer let alone shoot one.took a few years before i scored .I think i got mostof the mistakes out of the way but ya know those trcky deer
__________________
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2007, 02:46 PM
stjones1102 stjones1102 is offline
B&C 100 Class
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
greetings stjones, there are times that no matter what you do or how hard you hunt, the Deer are going to manage to stay one step ahead of you the whole season.
I've been hunting 34 years and I can tell you first hand you might not get a Deer every year.
So far this year I've hunted the Vermont Bow season (No deer) and I've hunted the Vermont Rifle season (and again No deer) NOW I'm hunting our Muzzleloader Season and still No Deer yet... of course I get a little frustrated at times but that's just human nature. I still have these final days to harvest a deer, this is what I refer to as Patience. Hunting 3 full seasons here in vermont, that's what I refer to as Persistance....
If you get a Deer before work today,,, We like seeing pics... *hint *hint
God Luck to you..
Well a lil update for ya. THE DEER ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!! We sat there for almos two hours this morning. I kept seeing movement in the shadows where the feeder is but never a clear shot. At one point I could see the white of the ear and face of the deer but still too dark. They hung around the feeder till the sun started to peak up then left before I got enought light to get a good shot. They are coming down a trail, into a clearing, then over a dam, drinking at the pond then continuing around, back over the dam, through some trees and into the clearing by the feeder. But they do it all and leave befor sunup! I eather have to convince them to stay long enough for the sun to come up or find a way to see in the dark. (but I think nightvision scopes are illeagle in Texas) maybe Ill put out some land mines or shoot em with agrenade launcher or somethin.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
timberghost's Avatar
timberghost timberghost is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: western new york
Posts: 3,918
Default

Most deer will feed more at night then return to a daytime bedding area just as the sun rises. If possible try to setup near a trail that they use to exit your feeder area. You may have more success being far away from the feeder.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top Posters
Hunting Man7736
buckfever5650
BruceBruce19595438
timberghost3918
joel the signman3608
tator3187
gfdeputy22905
delbert1515
Buckshot1219
hunt NH1203
Photos
My deer
reachoutandtapem'
My deer
Team DHC Articles


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.



    LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC8