what am I doing wrong? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 PM

Hey Pegasso, Greetings from Vermont. Welcome to the site and Congratulations on that Spike, It's a fine looking first deer but then again they're all fine looking to me... AND you're absolutely right, If you go to where the deer are, eventually you will get a shot... persistance and patience is the key to whitetail success...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 09:26 PM
B&C 180 Class

congrats on your first deer now the fun part.eating it
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Scrub Buck

Ooohhhh Yeahhhhhh
That Is What I Am About To Eat Right Know

I Went Deer Hunting Today And Nothing Came Out Except This!! A Javalina
As We Were Leaving My Wife Asked Me What Is That It Was About 200 Yds Away And Shot It Right On The Spot!
Now We Have Meet For Tamales!!
I Am Really Getting Into Hunting!
Greetings From The Rio Grande Valley!!!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
AND you're absolutely right, If you go to where the deer are, eventually you will get a shot... persistance and patience is the key to whitetail success...
If thats the case Im well due for my first kill, Iv been almost every day and most days Iv been twice a day (Dawn and Dusk). All Iv seen is one doe (that i missed because the last person to shoot that gun was nice enought to mess up the scope and not tell anyone). But i enjoy being out in the wild so much that I dont really care if I get one Its just good to get out in the wild once or twice a day. My dad told me today "if you dont get one this season it wont be from a lack of tryin!"

btw goin again in the A.M. before work haha wish me luck!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 PM

Hey Pegasso you are on a roll here. Congrats on your hog, keep the pics coming.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:14 PM
B&C 180 Class

thats why you dont lend out your gun
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-04-2007, 06:11 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjones1102 View Post
If thats the case Im well due for my first kill, Iv been almost every day and most days Iv been twice a day (Dawn and Dusk). All Iv seen is one doe (that i missed because the last person to shoot that gun was nice enought to mess up the scope and not tell anyone). But i enjoy being out in the wild so much that I dont really care if I get one Its just good to get out in the wild once or twice a day. My dad told me today "if you dont get one this season it wont be from a lack of tryin!"

btw goin again in the A.M. before work haha wish me luck!
greetings stjones, there are times that no matter what you do or how hard you hunt, the Deer are going to manage to stay one step ahead of you the whole season.
I've been hunting 34 years and I can tell you first hand you might not get a Deer every year.
So far this year I've hunted the Vermont Bow season (No deer) and I've hunted the Vermont Rifle season (and again No deer) NOW I'm hunting our Muzzleloader Season and still No Deer yet... of course I get a little frustrated at times but that's just human nature. I still have these final days to harvest a deer, this is what I refer to as Patience. Hunting 3 full seasons here in vermont, that's what I refer to as Persistance....
If you get a Deer before work today,,, We like seeing pics... *hint *hint
God Luck to you..

Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 AM
B&C 180 Class

good point BB i hunted state land for the first couple years and i was lucky to see a deer let alone shoot one.took a few years before i scored .I think i got mostof the mistakes out of the way but ya know those trcky deer
Old 12-04-2007, 02:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
greetings stjones, there are times that no matter what you do or how hard you hunt, the Deer are going to manage to stay one step ahead of you the whole season.
I've been hunting 34 years and I can tell you first hand you might not get a Deer every year.
So far this year I've hunted the Vermont Bow season (No deer) and I've hunted the Vermont Rifle season (and again No deer) NOW I'm hunting our Muzzleloader Season and still No Deer yet... of course I get a little frustrated at times but that's just human nature. I still have these final days to harvest a deer, this is what I refer to as Patience. Hunting 3 full seasons here in vermont, that's what I refer to as Persistance....
If you get a Deer before work today,,, We like seeing pics... *hint *hint
God Luck to you..
Well a lil update for ya. THE DEER ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!! We sat there for almos two hours this morning. I kept seeing movement in the shadows where the feeder is but never a clear shot. At one point I could see the white of the ear and face of the deer but still too dark. They hung around the feeder till the sun started to peak up then left before I got enought light to get a good shot. They are coming down a trail, into a clearing, then over a dam, drinking at the pond then continuing around, back over the dam, through some trees and into the clearing by the feeder. But they do it all and leave befor sunup! I eather have to convince them to stay long enough for the sun to come up or find a way to see in the dark. (but I think nightvision scopes are illeagle in Texas) maybe Ill put out some land mines or shoot em with agrenade launcher or somethin.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:20 PM

Most deer will feed more at night then return to a daytime bedding area just as the sun rises. If possible try to setup near a trail that they use to exit your feeder area. You may have more success being far away from the feeder.