Deer Hunting Forums banner

Superstitions and/or traditions of deer hunting

23K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  gfdeputy2 
#1 ·
Im a female, deer hunting for the first time, I heard of a tradition to drink or smear the blood on your face of your first kill. Why is that? What is the purpose?

#2 ·
Hey jenandkailey welcome to the forum and more importantly welcome to the wonderful world of the deer. This may vary from person to person but to drink the blood of the deer you take in their spirit as well. It is said that you somewhat "inherit" a special quality from the spirit of the deer and from then on there will always be something unique or special about yourself. That whole belief goes way back to the Native American origins.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Greetings from Vermont jenandkailey..
I've taken several Deer and I'm NOT about to drink a Deers blood and I think it's too cold during hunting season
to be smearing blood on our faces BUT if some hunters feel they need to do such things I guess it's ok for them... :shocking:

#5 ·
Welcome from Texas.Like the fellers above I have never had deer blood smeared on me or had to eat raw deer innerds.I have seen a few newbies who fell for that gag though.Last year when I came back to camp a friend of mines son had taken his first deer(doe) and he had blood all over his face.I didn't have the heart to tell him he'd been had.lol
But he's back this year wantin more.Don't let the talk keep you from taking a nice animal if the oppurtunity presents itself.
Good Luck,
Rock

#6 ·
I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't let anyone I was responsible for do it. There are those that believe that doing such things are important religious acts. I don't believe in those things but I'm not going to cheapen their religion by doing it as some sort of game. I have great respect for those folks and I have no place meddling in things I don't understand.

If you want to show respect for your quarry practice until you can make a clean shot and wait until you have a solid kill shot before shooting. Learn the art of hunting and practice with earnest. If you believe in such things (I do) say a short prayer of thanks when you are successful (or even when you fail). If you want to take it further, lay your hand on the deer and say, "Thank you brother deer for providing food for my family".

The taking of a life is a solemn act not to be taken lightly and not to be cheapened by sophomoric games. When they come to you and tell you that you "must" do something that you don't believe in, just tell them no. If they don't buy that, find someone else to hunt with. There are plenty of folks out there that'll be happy to hunt with you.

But then...
Opinions vary...
And that's just mine...

Hunt well, hunt safe.

#9 ·
some germen people will put a small branch of hemlock in the deers mouth as a symbolic last meal.also i've heard of people getting their shirt tails cut off when they miss.I wouldnt drink the blood:yucky: but a smear on your cheek aint gonna kill ya:unsure:

#11 ·
A bad tradition is using grandpa's old gun starting out..

Welcome to the forum... I am not into recommending any kind of special rituals except to please use a rifle that fits your body. You will find range time critical to enjoying the sport. Range time will not be fun with a rifle that doesn't fit you. There are no shortage of us that will make suggestions if you currently don't have your own dedicated rifle to shoot. I can't get my wife to be interesting in Deer hunting. If she was I guarantee that she would have a perfect fit before she ever pulled the trigger at the gun range. Having fun is the most important part of shooting/hunting.

Karl

#12 ·
For the blood on the face. We do it,and its more of a rite of passage for a hunters first kill.nothing crazy usually just a strip on forehead and each cheek. Also for a missed deer you will loose your shirt tail.reason is to make you not want to miss again,usually done to new young hunters and ment in all good spirit.I always say a prayer once I get settled down in my stand asking the Lord to keep me safe and to allow me to take a deer on this hunt if its his will.Also being part native american and a christian I do say a prayer of thanks to GOD for allowing me to take one of his awsome creatures and thanks to brother deer for giving his life to feed me and my familiy,and that his death is not in vain.Thats just me,each there own

#13 ·
I always give thanks for a safe and successful trip. I also have this thing about taking a different knife each trip. I put my arrows in a special order in the quiver and then use them in that order. I take two pairs of the same model boot and switch out mid week. I don't drink deer blood and would not reccomend it. Most times I take a different rifle year to year. I always place my stand with my back to the sun! Quirks?? :crazy:

#14 ·
I heard of a tradition to drink or smear the blood on your face of your first kill.
A scene from the original 1980's movie "Red Dawn" with Patrick Swayze. To be truthful, I've never seen it done in the field. We're too busy trying to get the animal processed properly before the bears hear the dinner bell that we just rang when we pulled the trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.