.22 long rifle - Page 4 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafromla1 View Post
All this talk brings me to the idea of bow hunting. Isn't that almost the same as using a .22? The deer just takes off and then you have to chase him down after an eternity of him running? That doesn't sound to humane to me. I have never bow hunted before but from what I see of it on outdoor shows, that is how it appears to me. Please correct me if I am wrong.
you can't compare the 2. they both kill differently or by different means. bullets kill by energy delivered and arrows kill by hemorrhaging. so a bigger caliber delivers more energy than a 22 and this is why in most states a 22 lr is illegal. people that use a 22lr are more than likily the folks fish and game would love to talk to.

anyway, the shock of the bullet explodes the cells like shooting a jug of water only at a cellular level. arrows kill by bleeding to death and letting the air out of them. by cutting open the lungs and arteries. a sucking chest wound in the medical field. this can take a few mins or even longer, where bullets explode things including bone which means at times they die right there but not always. the last 4 deer i shot with a bow have died in sight and just as fast as any i shot with a gun.

Last edited by Unregistered; 03-01-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 PM

Good post above, not sure who the guest is , but it reads like someone I might recognize??? I knew it just by the content. Nice to see you are checking in!

Last edited by Hunting Man; 03-01-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Good post above, not sure who the guest is , but it reads like someone I might recognize??? I knew it just by the content. Nice to see you are checking in!
grin .
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:19 PM

Thought so!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
B&C 100 Class

its not legal in wisconsin to kill deer i know that for sure.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Scrub Buck

You might want to check and make sure it is legal in your state first. Some states require that you use a minimum grain bullet or caliber of gun.

However, that being said, I know my grandpa took down 2 deer by shooting them behind the ear back in the "Glory Days".

I love .22 and enjoy shooting them, plus with ammo prices getting as high as they are, it is always a good choice.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Scrub Buck

This isnt so much an issue of could you, as much as it is an issue of should you.

Frankly, even if you were an expert marksmen, which, no offense, if you were you wouldn't be asking if .22's and deer go together anyways. Theres just too many factors here. A head-shot means 100% accuracy or you now have a severely wounded deer that will sadly probably live on for days. Missing ears, shattered jaws, large open head wounds, starvation and or death by dehydration.. The only thing those injuries have in common is a hunter who shouldn't be in the woods in my humble opinion.

The below video is pretty graphic, but illustrates why head shots even with higher cal rifles isn't always going to lead to a clean kill.

YouTube - Headshots Aren't Always A Good Idea!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

thats horrible! i cant belive they didn't shoot it!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:43 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by partial View Post
This isnt so much an issue of could you, as much as it is an issue of should you.

Frankly, even if you were an expert marksmen, which, no offense, if you were you wouldn't be asking if .22's and deer go together anyways. Theres just too many factors here. A head-shot means 100% accuracy or you now have a severely wounded deer that will sadly probably live on for days. Missing ears, shattered jaws, large open head wounds, starvation and or death by dehydration.. The only thing those injuries have in common is a hunter who shouldn't be in the woods in my humble opinion.

The below video is pretty graphic, but illustrates why head shots even with higher cal rifles isn't always going to lead to a clean kill.

YouTube - Headshots Aren't Always A Good Idea!
They should have put the poor thing out of its misery! In that condition, it will only starve to death.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafromla1 View Post
All this talk brings me to the idea of bow hunting. Isn't that almost the same as using a .22? The deer just takes off and then you have to chase him down after an eternity of him running? That doesn't sound to humane to me. I have never bow hunted before but from what I see of it on outdoor shows, that is how it appears to me. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Ill tell ya I have taken more deer with arrows than bullets. I have never had a deer go more than 20-30yds after a pass thru with a arrow,and some not go 20ft.I have had perfect rifle shots and had to track for 100yds.My point is only belieave half of what you see and none of what you hear.In all the states Ive hunted it is illegal to hunt deer with a 22lr