Deer Hunting Forums banner

.22 long rifle

23K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  Scorpion8 
#1 ·
The only gun I have to use to hunt whittail is a .22 long rifle. I was wondering if anyony has any suggestions on where to shoot the deer. Iv been told by several to shoot in the head. Also what type of ammo should I use? I was told to get one with a solid point. Please give me som advise. I was also looking for an inexpensive scope and ideas? :confused:

#37 ·
This isnt so much an issue of could you, as much as it is an issue of should you.

Frankly, even if you were an expert marksmen, which, no offense, if you were you wouldn't be asking if .22's and deer go together anyways. Theres just too many factors here. A head-shot means 100% accuracy or you now have a severely wounded deer that will sadly probably live on for days. Missing ears, shattered jaws, large open head wounds, starvation and or death by dehydration.. The only thing those injuries have in common is a hunter who shouldn't be in the woods in my humble opinion.

The below video is pretty graphic, but illustrates why head shots even with higher cal rifles isn't always going to lead to a clean kill.

YouTube - Headshots Aren't Always A Good Idea!

G
#43 ·
where to shoot

hey my name is danny if you only have a 22.LR i would aim in behind the ear there is a spot if u hit them there it will kill them stone dead, but i dont recommend hunting deer with a 22 you will probley just wound it and spend most of your time looking for a wounded deer

#44 ·
hey my name is danny if you only have a 22.LR i would aim in behind the ear there is a spot if u hit them there it will kill them stone dead, but i dont recommend hunting deer with a 22 you will probley just wound it and spend most of your time looking for a wounded deer
Danny that's really poor advice to give anyone, Nobody should attempt shooting a whitetail deer with a .22 caliber no matter how or where the shot is placed.
Even you don't recommend it, why would you even offer shot placement tips knowing it's poor advice from the get go?

G
#48 ·
22 lr

i love to shoot deer with a 22, and it was a class 160 buck. and it was around 185. it was about 55yds dropped him dead. so for yall people say that u need something bigger go kick rocks calls u dont need nothing bigger. just look in your wildlife boo and see if u can.

#51 ·
i love to shoot deer with a 22, and it was a class 160 buck. and it was around 185. it was about 55yds dropped him dead. so for yall people say that u need something bigger go kick rocks calls u dont need nothing bigger. just look in your wildlife boo and see if u can.
I bet you think you're a real Phoebe Ann Moses with a rifle too?
Do you use a BB gun for Bear? a pellet gun for Moose?

#50 ·
Go kick rocks? Really??? it is not about can it be done or not it is about ethics & our responsability as hunters to kill the animal we are hunting as quick & humanly possible! there is a reason I have not found a state so far that allows the .22 to be used on deer
You could probably kill a lion with a .22 & I am not a gambling man but I would bet you wouldn't be trying it so why risk the chance of wounding a deer with a caliber not made for hunting deer. It is Posts like this that give the hunting community a bad name. UNREGESTERED I am only guessing here but willing to bet you are an anti-hunter or just a troll & probably never hunted in your life!
any young hunters or new hunters there are plenty of calibers out there made for deer hunting that have little recoil like the .22 that will be more humane & ethical
PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO USE A .22 ON DEER OR ANY BIG GAME!

#53 ·
Alaska is another state where it's illegal to use a 22 rimfire for big game, except (and the regs specify this) caribou while they are swimming. In that case they natives get right up close in a boat and shoot them in the head, then secure the body to the boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.