.22 long rifle - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whttailgal101 View Post
The only gun I have to use to hunt whittail is a .22 long rifle. I was wondering if anyony has any suggestions on where to shoot the deer. Iv been told by several to shoot in the head. Also what type of ammo should I use? I was told to get one with a solid point. Please give me som advise. I was also looking for an inexpensive scope and ideas?
Whoever told you to use a .22 caliber rifle to hunt deer with is obviously very inexperienced to hunting and clueless on weaponry effectiveness.
The list of proper hunting caliber choices is long and backed by a history of hunting effectiveness.
For beginners my advice would be to buy a weapon which is suited for the game you're after.
For Deer, the .243 caliber is a great starting caliber anything smaller, in most cases, only causes the shooter to fatally wound animals
and end up in unnecessary hunting situations.
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.
Good Luck to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM
B&C 120 Class

You never how many of those things are running around in your backyard. sorry I was on page 1.

Last edited by Noah Racette; 02-25-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:47 PM

does it work on dirt
Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
does it work on dirt

hahahaha too funny...

I think the main point everyone on here is making Dirt-guy, is this... now days when we hunt we want to take a deer or any animal ethically. I guess it's a maturing behavior we posess, but non-the-less, we want to ensure we kill the animal quickly and as pain-free was we can. That way when our children are asking us "Daddy, why is that deer hanging his head with all that blood coming out of it's head? Why is it running away so fast?" OR "Daddy, why is that deer limping off so far away, are we ever going to find him/her?" Don't know about you guys, but those are two questions coming from a child that I don't want to answer. I want the question "WOW why was that so loud Daddy?" "because son, it's a high powered rifle that is designed to kill the deer quickly instead of slowly".
Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Scrub Buck

All this talk brings me to the idea of bow hunting. Isn't that almost the same as using a .22? The deer just takes off and then you have to chase him down after an eternity of him running? That doesn't sound to humane to me. I have never bow hunted before but from what I see of it on outdoor shows, that is how it appears to me. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:13 PM
B&C 180 Class

Let's just say if I had the choice to be shot by a compound bow or a .22 rifle I would pick the .22 rifle anyday of the week.

get it?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafromla1 View Post
All this talk brings me to the idea of bow hunting. Isn't that almost the same as using a .22? The deer just takes off and then you have to chase him down after an eternity of him running? That doesn't sound to humane to me. I have never bow hunted before but from what I see of it on outdoor shows, that is how it appears to me. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You are right there lafromla 1, but I would have to ask 1 question. Which makes a bigger wound opening the .22 or the broadhead??? I have never shot a deer with a .22 before(and I don't aim too.) I have shot a possum with a .22 cal. and the wound opening was no bigger than a nickle. I shot one a while back using some Carbon Express broadheads and the hole was about 1 and a half in wide. I think the broadheads would do more damage.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:21 PM
B&C 180 Class

I agree with Mr. Racette....
Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
B&C 160 Class

First off the bowhunting remarks are ridiculous any well placed double lung shot the deer is runnind dead and will pile up sometimes under 10 yards.Any bad shot be it bow or gun is gonna cause problems whether its a 30/06,slug, or broadheads.People are either not proficient with there weapon or take bad shots they have no business taking.But in hunting sometimes bad shots do occur but thats part of it and you have to accept it.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Please upgrade to something that hits harder

Yes Deer have been killed with a 22 Long Rifle cartridge but none of us would recommend it unless we were in a survival situation. Selecting a used rifle or shotgun firing slugs is decision that you will not regret. If money is tight don't be in a hurry to find something. Single shot rifes and shotguns are not expensive new, and very inexpensive used.

Karl