Help me pick my spot for this weekend. - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Help me pick my spot for this weekend.

Ok...here goes...

Spot #1.) Funnel from thick pines leading out to an old clear-cut (40 yards wide X 200 yards long....all poplar trees about 7-10 years old. Many small Tamarak trees have fresh rubs on them. Trail runs across the clearing leading to finger of HEAVY, THICK pines that go downhill for 50 yards directly into the thickest, nastiest northern swamp you'll find around here. (I live right off of LONG SWAMP RD.) I have seen 3 does and 2 bucks come out of that funnel last year during the rut...if it's not rut...it's typically fairly quiet there. I am hunting from the ground, sitting on a stump just around a sharp corner from the entrance of that funnel leading into the clearing. I am absolutely masked by wind...always toward the clearing. All of the deer that have come out of that funnel (last year) came out within 10 yards of me....2 does tried to figure out what I was (they were actually very cute) by moving and staring and sniffing. Both does ended up just sauntering off, tails down. I didn't move a flinch and the didn't wind me. I didn't have a doe tag last year.....go figure.

Spot#2.) I jumped a gorgeous 4-pointer there this year. He ran and I missed both shots with my Marlin 336C in .35 Rem as he ran (open sights / factory.)
This is a swamp. I sit in my climber about 18ft. up a Tamarak tree. Massive amount of deer scat in the area. Many trails leading in and out and all about. I have jumped MULTIPLE deer there in the past (year-round...summer, winter...we only have 2 seasons here. Cold and wayyyy colder.) Soft ground....almost ALL moss. Many swamp oaks...all acorns are already wayyy gone. This swamp has 2 small ridges on either side. I can shoot for 50 yards 1-way and about 10-yds in the other.....I'm at the back of the swamp near where many trails intersect. Including 1 main...MASSIVE trail (almost a road in width.) They use this to enter and exit. BUT you can barely hear a deer move in there unless the moss is frozen solid. No rubs at all in there and certainly no scraps. This spot is about 500 yds from spot #1.

Where would you hunt if you had 1 last Saturday to hunt (no hunting in Maine on Sundays)?

It's your last day....do you hunt 1 and then the other? In what order do you hunt them (morning / evening)?

I need your opinions because I'm in one heck of a bind here.