Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   Opinions on dipping (chewing tobacco) while hunting? (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/1047-opinions-dipping-chewing-tobacco-while-hunting.html)

Mainer 11-15-2007 06:36 PM

Opinions on dipping (chewing tobacco) while hunting?

I love a good chew while I hunt, as I'm sure that many of us do.

Can deer smell it on your breath? Can they smell it on the ground from downwind and does it spook them?

I have heard many arguments about this between my hunting buddies (one of which is a registered Maine Guide.)

He argues that he would shoot me out of my stand when I hunt with him if he saw me dipping (chewing.)

His son thinks that he's full of it. He shot a few deer with a mouthful of chew in.

Our good friend sat on his property last year with a cigarette in his mouth, on his cell phone, with a beer between his legs and low and behold had to end the call early to shoot a 210lb. 9-pointer that walked up on him.

So, what are your opinions on chew?

timberghost 11-15-2007 08:52 PM

That's a tough one. To me a deers most important piece of survival equipment is their nose. Anything that a deer doesn't smell on an everyday basis is "foreign". But deer are curious animals, it may work for you or against you. I always try my hardest to smell like the ground that they walk on and the air that they breathe in, which is nearly impossible. So anyways, my opinion on this matter would be to leave the chew at home. But remember it's only my opinion. GOOD LUCK.

critter gitter 11-15-2007 09:22 PM

Some people will say not to or smoke either but 2 years ago I had just finished up a cigar and within minutes shot a doe.

buckfever 11-16-2007 09:26 AM

Being a full fledged dipper of tobac myself i have thought on this alot. Yes i think a deer will smell it. It might even make me not get a nice buck because it smelled my chew before i even saw it. But that the choice i make every time i get in the stand. and since i am hopelessly addicted i chew/dip anyway. I probably had a dip in everytime i have shot a deer. I do spit in a bottle though and not on the ground.

Sylanderxs 11-19-2007 07:23 PM

Well... this weekend, I was spitting out of my stand and had a nice 4 point wander in. He walked right under my stand, gave the spot where I had been spitting a sniff and kept walking. All with me sitting there watching him. I could have spit and hit him if I'd wanted to. I usually smoke but I dip when I'm on the stand to avoid doing that. In the end, I'm out there to enjoy myself and if I all I can think about for 4 hours is the fact that I want a cigarette, I aint having fun.

But then...
Opinions vary...
And that's just mine...

Hunt well, hunt safe.

TNHunter 11-26-2007 02:46 PM

I have a dip in every time i go to the stand and have shot 4 deer this year. 3 does and 1 nice 8. i am however very carefull to pay attention to the wind. i have the advantage to have a larger piece of land to hunt with several stands and when the wind is bad for one stand it is great at another and i just "go where the wind takes me."

Btrcody 11-07-2009 10:18 PM

Chewing while hunting?

I always have a chew in. Now I chew copenhagen, and skoal wintergreen. I usually try to chew copenhagen when i am hunting because I belive it gives off less scent. But one particular morning i was out of cope so i chewed my wintergreen, and didnt see any deer. (this was when i had been seeing the same deer every morning.) That evening i went back and was chewing skoal still and saw a big 10 pointer, and shot a bigger 8 pointer. Does the smell throw off the deer?? I dont think so. MY OPPINON! But if your gonna chew, chew.

BruceBruce1959 11-08-2009 07:30 AM

In my opinion, If you're going to dip/chew, you may as well cook up a pound of bacon and fill yer pockets too because
the only ones that think it's ok to dip/chew are the ones that do it.
When I was a smoker I thought the same way about my smoking, I never thought about how bad the smoke/odors
was affecting my hunts until I quit and now I see way more wildlife than I ever did.
Sorry to all you guys that do it but If a new hunter asks me if it's ok to dip/chew while he's hunting, I still have to answer
No because of the Deer's No-Fail nose. sorry guys but that's my opinion.

To those that do it I hope you all find a way to kick the habit not just for the hunt but for your good health as well.
Good Luck Guys.

onehorse 11-08-2009 08:11 AM

Hey , guys, I wasn't going to say anything, but as long as Bruce mentioned it, you should consider kicking that habit whether you are hunting or not. :yucky: We want you to enjoy many more years of hunting, not to mention being with your families and doing all the other things you might like to do. Seems to me you should be worried about missing out on all of that and not just missing a shot at a deer. Good luck and good hunting!

hunt NH 11-08-2009 08:26 AM

in my opinion and its just that my opinion. the best option you diping wile hunting is cammle snus. it is a spitless tobacoo. you just throw it in your lip and forget about it. if you are in a position were the deer will smell it than they would smell your breath any way. and i would rather they smell my minty lip than my bacon breath. ( i love bacon)