Rookie Deer Hunter, Lady's Bolt Action! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Rookie Deer Hunter, Lady's Bolt Action!

My Question is, has any guy ever deer hunted with a bolt action that was designed for ladies?

I'm a guy but I saw a Savage Arms "Lady Hunter" bolt action rifle online. I would like to use it mainly because it seems light weight and comfortable to fire. If it shoots just as well and as accurate as a rifle designed for guys, I'd use it. My main concern is not the weapon or how "guy" it is, but is it a smooth shot, easy to manage, the shell and muzzle velocity, and does it take the animal efficiently.

I want to fire one shot, and kill the deer as quickly and efficiently as possible with a clean hit through the lungs and heart. I very much want to hunt, but am very much an animal lover (which surprisingly I've found most hunters are) and would like to take a deer quick and painless. I am a great shot so long as the rifle is comfortable, and especially if I can mount the rifle on a bi-pod, a fence post, or something fixed.

I owned a Marlin short lever action 30-30, and had a hard time firing it efficiently because it seemed it was built a little clumsy. It wasn't until my Dad's hunting partner brought out the exact same rifle with a scope, and showed me how to steady it using a fence post that I was deadly accurate. What I'd like the most is a lightweight bolt action, and my biggest concern is one shot, one kill.

I want the deer to go as painless and quick as possible, and preserve the beauty of the animal so I can admire it while still being able to harvest the animal or the rack as a trophy. But for the most part I'd like to fire at a doe, because I'm more interested in the meat than the "points" on a buck.

Does anyone prefer a "lady" designed rifle, or can you recommend a standard, lightweight bolt action that will do the job quickly and still be fun to shoot?

BTW...I've hunted rabbits and squirrels with a 20 gauge, and deer with a 30-30 lever action. I've yet to kill any of the things I was hunting. So I am very intent that any animal I shoot dies quickly and with dignity. I look at the lady hunter rifles because I think if they are comfortable along the shoulder and arms and lightweight my shooting will be on-point and kill quick.

Also...since I've never killed a deer I've never had to field dress it. If you know the best website or book to describe dressing out the deer without "massacring" I would be interested. I believe very much that if you shoot the deer, you owe it to the animal to clean it in a sacred way without making a huge mess out of it. :)

I ask these questions because I've hunted with guys who seemed more interested in the damage they could do, the killing, and the mess they could make. They got quite a few deer, but the whole hunt was usually a beer-fest. The only joy I got from it was being in the wild and cooking our food over an open fire! I want to hunt alone (or with Dad) and I love the animals...I want to take one but do the best I can to make sure it's not about the violence, but the love for nature and God's creatures. I don't believe shooting an animal is wrong in any way, and you can still love and admire the animal while taking it.

So after much rambling, if anyone can help me be an efficient shooter and killer of a deer while still giving the animal as much dignity as I can, I'd be grateful. The lady's rifle question is more about comfort and ease of shooting, and quick-kill than it is about what type of weapon.