Too Much Gun? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 PM
B&C 140 Class

OK, on the topic of "too much gun"
The legendary hunter/writer, Elmer Keith used to say that there's no such thing as too much gun. He was right, to a point. Elmer wanted a round that could shoot through any game animal lengthwise if it had to. Without getting into the anatomy and/or ethics of that concept, he probably had a point in thinking that his belief required a heavy, large caliber bullet. He was right because in his day that's all that could do an end-to-end penetration on a big game animal. Not so today. The newer bullets are contstructed for maximum penetration and expansion without breaking up while retaining maximum weight retention. They are accurate and, in the small to medium calibers, can be very flat shooting. Here is an example: A wildcat, .257, "Hot Tamale" with a 100 grain Barnes bullet completely penetrated both shoulders of a 2000+ pound bison bull and dropped it on the spot. Even Elmer would have been impressed.
That 45-70 you are shooting is deadly and has killed just about every animal in the world, and it's one that Elmer would have loved, but if it is intimidating you ever time you pull the trigger, you may be subjecting your self to a lot of unneccesary punishment. In one of your videos (very well done, by the way) you mentioned that you have a 30/06. That's plenty of medicine for a moose or any othet big game. You might consider it for your hunting as it is more accurate and flat shooting than the 45-70 with less recoil, and the 165 or 180 grain solid copper or other premium bullets that are now available will be more than capable of knocking the moose (but not you) flat. Good luck with your plans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Scrub Buck

My 30-06 kicks just as much as my 45-70 (Seems like it any way)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default My 30-06 kicks as much as my 45-70

I don't know the make/model of your 30-06. The kick you are complaining about probibly is more of a stock design issue not a recoil issue. I have to think if you have one with a well designed stock and quality recoil pad.

Karl
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Sorry, my reply doesn't make sense...

A 30-06 that fits you correctly will not be a problem to shoot in the recoil department. It is amazing the difference in felt recoil between a rifle that fits with a good recoil pad, and one that doesn't fit you with a hard or steel buttplate. Try a couple of other 30-06s prior to black listing them for life....

Karl
Old 01-12-2013, 03:19 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehorse View Post
................you mentioned that you have a 30/06.
"Had" a .30-.30 (Model 94 Winchester) which got sold when the kids were small. I miss that gun!!

My intent was to go and get another one, but the ones I saw in the gun stores were just not in the greatest condition, and I wanted a side-eject.

So I changed my focus to the Marlin 336.

I had the 336 in my right hand (new) and the 45/70 in my left.

Having worked for Marlins, I had my prejudices about a "new" gun from that company (at least, the ones made in North Haven, just down the road from me).

The "new" 336 in my hands was made in Massachusetts, (I suspect that "production" was still "piece work" there as well), and the 45/70 had some use (meaning that most likely, burrs and kinks were probably already worked out of the gun). So I chose the gun that was "broken in" over the potential issues related to a "new" gun.

In retrospect, because of the cost of the ammo, and the power of the 45/70, I'd be more comfortable with the .30-.30, and should have chosen the 336.

I've been willing to trade folks.........any takers? Scope included!!

-Soupy1957
Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile dry fireing

I would try fireing my rifle without ammo and concintrate on keeping my eyes open dureing the process. It was recommended to me and I am passing it on. It seems to work for me. Check with a local gunsmith or your rifle manufacturer to make sure it won't do any damage to your personel firearm.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Rounds for 'dry firing'???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried 23 View Post
I would try fireing my rifle without ammo and concintrate on keeping my eyes open dureing the process. It was recommended to me and I am passing it on. It seems to work for me. Check with a local gunsmith or your rifle manufacturer to make sure it won't do any damage to your personel firearm.
Aren't there cartridges out there for just that purpose? Training?
Wouldn't this preclude causing any damage to the rifle?

RR
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Snap Caps

Snap Caps are special dummy cartridges designed for dry firing. They are either made of plastic or aluminum. The primer on them is either spring loaded or a rubber type material designed for firing pin hits. The old rule of thumb was that repeat strikes of the firing pin going all the way to the stop because it didn't hit a primer could crystalize the metal and make it brittle.

Karl
Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehorse View Post
you mentioned that you have a 30/06.

Did I? I thought I said ".30-.30" Ah well. Anyway, I traded away the 45/70 for a Model 94 Centennial Commemorative, made in 1966. Hexagon barrel, and a 7 shot tubular magazine; Brass Receiver. I had a Model 94 before, and loved it. Am excited to shoot it, if I can ever find any Ammo! Had some on order from Cabela's since March. Their shelves are empty at the local box store, as are most stores.

-Soupy1957
Old 05-17-2013, 07:48 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default In the words of Big Daddy Don Gartlits

theres no substitution for cubic inches except more cubic inches. I guess the same could be said for guns