Too Much Gun? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 PM
B&C 140 Class

A-ZOOM Action Proving Dummy Round, Snap Cap 45-70 Government Aluminum Package of 2

Product #: 460024 A-Zoom #: 12231 UPC #: 666692122316

$9.99

Ready to ship MIDWAYUSA.com
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
A snap cap is a device which appears similar to a standard firearm cartridge but contains no primer or projectile and is used to ensure that dry firing firearms of certain designs does not cause damage. Snap caps contain a spring-damped false primer which absorbs the force from the firing pin, allowing the user to safely test the function of the firearm without damaging the components of the firearm.
A small number of rimfire and centerfire weapons of older design should not be test-fired with the chamber empty, as this can lead to weakening and possible breakage of the firing pin and increased wear to other components in those firearms. In the instance of a rimfire weapon of primitive design, "dry firing" can also cause deformation of the chamber edge. For this reason some shooters use a snap cap in an attempt to cushion the weapon's firing pin as it moves forward.

A pair of 12 gauge snap caps

Snap caps and action-proving dummy cartridges also have usage as a training tool to replace live rounds for loading and unloading drills, as well as training for mis-fires or "jams", as they function identically to a live "dud" round that has not ignited
Maybe I missed it in your information......if so, please forgive, but........can you re-use these over and over, or are they a "use once and throw away" kinda thing? (My guess, if I had to "guess" would be that the manufacturer would render these useless after one shot, in order to get folks to buy more.........lol).

-Soupy1957
Old 12-15-2012, 08:48 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Working on a flinch....

The best way to fix a shooter flinch is to never develope one to begin with. It is to late for that so option 2 it to overcome it. I always ask a shooter shooting at the range that is jerking the trigger in antisipation of recoil to CALL the shot. The crosshairs are never totally without some motion. The shooter if he/she really focuses on them will see a slight movement up down right left. At the instant of the rifle firing the shooter should be able to immediately call exactly where the cross hair was at the shot. If they can't they were antisipately recoil and closed their eyes for an instant. A light trigger is a real help with this because they don't have to pull hard just begin to press and it will go off as a surprise. With a bad flinch switch to a 22 rimfire until the flinch is overcome. I really like bringing a 22 rimfire to the range along with my Deer rifle. If I notice that I am starting to get sloppy or start to antisipate recoil I switch to the rimfire until I remember what I should be doing...

Karl
Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM

your mind must be on the target otherwise you're just shooting.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:49 AM
B&C 100 Class

"BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 10 fT POUNDS AND 46.9 fT POUNDS OF RECOIL"

Yep.............sure is!! Thanks for that!

-Soupy1957
Old 12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
B&C 120 Class

That is too much recoil for accurate shooting.You can try a Limbsaver recoil pad or go back to the 30-30.I have taken 16 deer with a 30-30 at ranges up to 150 yards.Now, if you're hunting moose you probably need a caliber with recoil above 20 lbs.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:04 AM
B&C 100 Class

".Now, if you're hunting moose you probably need a caliber with recoil above 20 lbs. "

Yeah.........everyone I talk with says that they feel that the 45/70 is best for a Moose. Then again, I've seen hunting videos where a strong Bull Moose just shook his head, after being hit in the "kill zone" and walked away, (a 45/70 shot). It took another shot to bring him down.

-Soupy1957
Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Scrub Buck

Trust me,,,when you have that moose in your scope and pull the trigger,,,you wont feel ANY recoil!

I guess Im lucky,,,,Recoil has never bothered me,,,and Ive been hit in the head with the scope twice with my 45-70...Keep shooting!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 AM

Recoil really never bothered me much growing up. I haven't shot a 45-70 but did own a 444 and actually it wasn't that bad. 338 win, 270 wm give me all I want anymore though. I probably wouldn't choose a 45-70 if I went big bear hunting, probably a 338 win would do the trick.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:13 AM
B&C 140 Class

All the info that has been given is valid. Here's some additional advice on the issue of flinching. Everybody flinches to some degree and at some time or other for various reasons. The best way to combat this that I know of is to use the snap caps (already suggested) AND have someone else load your firearm before you shoot it. They can load a live round or a snap cap so you don't know what will happen when you squeeze the trigger. This has always worked for me whenever I thought I was starting to flinch. Here's what happens: if there is a live round, you pull the trigger, and like always flinch or not, but it's hard to tell. If there is a dummy round, man, you really know if you flinched (and feel pretty silly). Continue alternating snap caps and live rounds at the range and practising with the snap caps at home. Sooner or later, you will pull the trigger on the UNKNOWN snap cap, and guess what, NO FLINCH. You will be amazed and feel great! You see, flinching is more of a state of mind. If you fool your brain into thinking there is nothing to pulling the trigger (which is what snap caps will do for you) you will beat the flinch... for a while, at least, but when it comes back, just start all over again.
More on your original question of "Too Much Gun" to follow.