Having a heck a time here....help - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Having a heck a time here....help

I don't wanna sound like a toad, but I am having a heck of a time here.

Last season I missed a spike at 10 yards. He came out, scared me and I froze. I gunned up and he snorted and ran. I missed the snapshot (I shot and then tracked for 4 hours...not 1 drop of blood and 600 yards later through THICK Maine woods and swamp.

This year so far, I jumped a nice heavy 4-pointer at about 30 yards...I took 2 shots and missed both (no hair, no blood for 200 yards...he even stopped to look around after the 2 shots, the jetted when I positioned for a 3rd.)

I have yet to see a deer just wander out into my shooting lane while I'm sitting still. I have 2 ladder stands and a climbing stand...all set up. I live in mostly swamp and walk behind my house (60 acres) every morning at about 4am. I set up at least 1 1/2 hrs. before civil twilight (and at least 2 hrs. before sun-up.) I wash my clothes in scent free, I use scent free pit deodorant, I call at least every 20-30 minutes (rattle, bleat, grunt) when I think they are rutting and some days I just sit tight and don't call at all. I hunt the swamp, the fingers of tight pines in between the swamps and the hardwood clearings...I hunt everywhere that I see an abundance of deer crap and I rarely see a deer. I have seen 5 bucks this season (2 during bow, out of range....a rifle would have dropped 1 of these easily.) I have seen ALL bucks and not one doe....which isn't a bad thing except for the facts that does will most certainly point the way to commonly followed travel routes.....and I have a doe tag.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Maine deer are WAYYY fewer and far between than anywhere south of here as I have read....but J, unless you pull drives...it's tough around here.

Any advice? Any Mainers here?

Last edited by buckfever; 11-14-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Scrub Buck

By the way....I am an accomplished turkey hunter, duck hunter, grouse, partridge and any other bird that you can imagine (although there is always room for improvement.)

I have taken 8 years off of deer hunting ( I was a US Marine)....and I bought this house (a log cabin in York County, Maine) 2 years ago....so newer area to me.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:11 PM
B&C 180 Class

welcome to the club we ask that you dont cuus, take the lords name in vain. I understand your a marine but we got kids on the site
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky

Last edited by buckfever; 11-14-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:15 PM

Well good evening Mr. Mainer and welcome to the sight. I'm from Western NY and I love to hunt swamps. I'm not familiar with the woods of Maine at all. I could try to help you out a little bit. If possible do you know if there are beaver dams and small hidden islands full of thick pine and cattail, also dry strips running through the swamp. If you have any of these it usually makes for good pinches/funnels. I almost always find what I call a "swamp buck" within areas like this. An old, solid, mature, wise deer loves to use the swamp as his area because a predator will rarely venture into a swamp. I hope that this helped you out a little bit. It sounds like your approach (pre-light setup, scent control, etc.) is excellent. I tried through 3 different recruiters to be a Marine after high school but my 2 knee ops. denied me. Semper Fi. Check out the "Armed Forces Veterans" post.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 AM

hey man and welcome to the site. it sounds like you have some tough hunting in your part of the wood. i like your scent control and earliness to the stand. so thats not hurting you. timberghost had a good idea about trying to find a funnel somwhere. is there any known food scources on your land? im also wondering how long you stay in the stand and how many days have you hunted this land? it is odd to me that with all the deer crap around that you havent at least seen some deer but the same thing has happened to me in the past. maybe you have a bunch of nocturnals on your hand. who really knows. it does not sound like your doing anything terribly wrong. deer hunting can be tough but if you stay at it the deer will eventually make a mistake.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 AM
B&C 100 Class

I also live in maine, and to help out with the description maine is full of trees with small clearings where storms seem to take a toll... its fairly hilly so sometimes that throws off how far something looks to you... its a great place to hunt though!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 AM
B&C 100 Class

Welcome Mainer,

I also live in Maine, Greenbush to be exact. I read your post, and Im at a loss, I live a couple hundred miles north of you, and the signs of the rut are just starting to appear up in my neck of the woods.

The weather is just starting to get things moving a bit. I would just hang in there, we know how tough the Maine woods are to hunt. It sounds like your early morning hunts are on schedule. Do you stay in your stand till at least 10 or 11:00?

I am finding more activity the last couple hours of the day. You might try the last few hours of the day, and hang in till the very last of legal shooting time, and you should get your sites on a doe at least.

The rut isn't in full swing yet, so that could be part of the problem.

I have hunted down in your neck of the woods. In Harrison, Bridgton area, to be precise, it is tuffer hunting down in that area. There are so many areas that are posted, and because of the hunting pressure in that area, deer seem to disappear.

I think they pretty much head to where they aren't bothered. But there is hope. Nasty weather is coming. You have been given some good advice above, so stick to it, and good luck to you.

AJHunter