Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   AR style rifles (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/10238-ar-style-rifles.html)

Unregistered 11-28-2012 03:40 AM

AR style rifles

Is an AR style rifle the best choice to use when deer hunting?

NYHunter 11-28-2012 05:10 AM

The best?? No. An option Yes...

gfdeputy2 11-28-2012 05:39 AM

IMO not the best choice at all

Hunting Man 11-28-2012 05:55 AM

Traditional nope, adequate, certainly in the larger calibers. Sates like PA do not allow semi-auto's for deer hunting. Lower Mich and all of Ohio is shotgun only. I would not opt for an AR platform for deer hunting, many other options.

Karl.Luhr 11-28-2012 08:53 AM

Use what you are most comfortable with....

It seems to be a generational thing. Being born in the late 50s I think all Deer rifles should be mounting a scope with few exceptions. Others older than I am learned and used open sights to the point where many insist on the see-through mounts so that they always have that option. I did a tour in the USAF and fired the M16 in Basic. All that was expected of me was to not shoot the drill instructor or my fellow airman. The generation of Vets coming out of the Services in the last 10-15 years are coming out of a time where we are at War. The Members in all the branches are qualified with their small arms to a level that I only dreamed about in the mid 70s when I was in Basic. I was a Range rat by choice while down at Patrict AFB in Cocoa Beach FL, I was out all the time firing my personal pistol. The Vets with Gulf War experience know the feeling of having a M16/M4 in their hands, or 2 feet away for Months on end. I would think that many will prefer to hunt with Deer calibre ARs. I am not a fan of the .223 for anything other than prairie dogs. The Greatest Generation came back from War in 1945 and traded their M1s for Remington 742s and Browning BARs. With the quality of the civilian ARs this newest Generation of Vets will not be disappointed if they choose to carry one. I used to wonder why someone would choose an AR to hunt with, now it makes complete sense to me. I would rather carry my scoped bolt action with a crisp trigger, but I am getting to be an old Dog.....

Karl

Scorpion8 11-29-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYHunter (Post 73781)
The best?? No. An option Yes...

Ditto. But not even the best option. An AR-rifle with a 20" barrel is generally heavier and clumsier than a traditional rifle in my opinion.

Hunting Man 11-29-2012 10:59 AM

I'm in the older group too. I know times are changing, heck even I want a black rifle, for different purpose though. The trend is towards the AR platform. I still would be a bit worried when encountering a deer hunter using one, but that's my issue not his. I also like wood and the older the better. :yes:

Scorpion8 11-30-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunting Man (Post 73834)
The trend is towards the AR platform.

I have an AR-varmint rifle where the platform makes sense. Very accurate, quick follow up shots. But I varmint hunt from a stand, not stalking. I don't need the extra weight and magazine capacity while spot and stalking blacktails up here.

NYHunter 12-01-2012 07:46 AM

This really boils down to the gun makers creating a frenzy to inject cash into their pockets. The rifles we all own, have and always will kill deer. I'd rather upgrade my scopes then my rifles....My eyes ain't what they used to be!!

BruceBruce1959 12-01-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73780)
Is an AR style rifle the best choice to use when deer hunting?

No...........