Need opinions on attracting deer - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Need opinions on attracting deer

Hey all. Been a while since I've logged on. But I need help. I'm hunting a brand new place since last season. This place has loads of deer but I'm having trouble drawing them into the field. This field was a bean field this past farming season but they caught all the beans and then plowed everything under until they're was absolutely nothing left but dirt. Before they caught the beans, they're was several deer (more then 10) in the field everyday but since they plowed the field, nothing. I threw some wheat and rye grass out about 3-4 weeks ago but not the first seed has sprouted. I even nailed a full peanut butter bottle on a tree, nothing after 1 week. I poured some apple juice on 2 rotten logs. Nothing after 1 week. I'm still and quiet but no luck whatsoever. There's tracks in the field close to my ground blind. I've thought about putting doe urine on a rag and hanging it from a limb. I went through this mess last season and I don't want it to happen again. I've spent too much money on equipment and clothing to have this season go like the last one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 07:04 PM
B&C 140 Class

put up a feeder if its legal in your area. If not there are still several other ways
Old 11-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
put up a feeder if its legal in your area. If not there are still several other ways
Feeder is illegal in my state. Too much people in and out to put one up.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 PM

How bout little things like a bag of acorn rage or deer caine or some type of food attractant? Are those methods legal?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
How bout little things like a bag of acorn rage or deer caine or some type of food attractant? Are those methods legal?
Deer cane is legal according to TWRA because I called them last year about it. Never used Deer Cane or the Acorn Rage. Which is better and works faster?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:11 AM

Not sure which is better but I'm going by what I see advertised on the TV. Companies say "attracts the deer and holds em" Give em a try and see what happens. Good Luck.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Scrub Buck

Acorn Rage and Sugar Beet Crush should do the trick if legal. Try setting it back in from field 50 to 100 yds.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

try the Cemere deer. Ive had good luck with it in Fla. and works GREAT in NC. Ive watched them fight over it. Also you can use scents to attract and dont forget calls and rattlebags
Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

Go to your farm and home store and buy a 40lb bag of stock salt, and a 40lb bag of trace mineral and then if you want you can get Dicalcium phosphate. Dig a hole or use a tiller like I do and mix up the dirt in about a 6'x6' area. mix in the salt and minerals together. You'll have a good mineral lick now. I don't worry about getting the ratios right, but there are many "recipes" you can use that require more of one thing than the other. just Google it. I have found this works the best even more so than corn- especially in the spring/summer/fall months. Now once late fall and winter hit, they will want corn, corn, corn! they will hit it harder than anything. Try to let the mineral lick stand for 2 weeks or more. Sounds to me like you are frequenting the area too much.

I know when I tried the peanut butter thing, I left it for over 3 weeks and it wasn't till after a week that I got any pics of bucks eating it. Coons sure liked it though! lol