Public Hunting Tips? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Public Hunting Tips?

So I moved from WI to MN and I will probably be facing public land for my first time next year so i'm looking for some tips.

My relatives owned land in WI so i've never had to deal with it before. just trying to figure out what i'll be dealing with well in advance. The biggest thing that i'm curious with is that i've read "come opening anyone can use your stand" which i'm not sure if that means they actually set out stands for use on public land, or that you can bring your own stand, but anyone can use it. thanks in advance!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM

I have no clue buddy. Maybe look into the local DNR/DEC rules and regs to see the specifics. Heck, call an officer and be certain of what you may encounter just to be safe and put you at ease.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 PM

The deal is: if you set a stand on public land you could have someone legally sitting in it when you get there. For public hunting the best advice is take your stand in with you and get it set up early. Also, take the stand down each night there-after to prevent theft. This would be for archery hunting as I would ground hunt public land anyways for gun season. For public hunting think where the deer will try to get to and be there. The big bucks will be heading for the thickest cover. Get back off the roads, most hunters are hunting with-in 1/4 mile of roads so go in deeper, look for funnels, pinch points, elevated ground to see a low area, swamps ect. Be patient as the deer will take longer to filter into you. Good luck and watch the wind!

Last edited by Hunting Man; 11-19-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 AM
B&C 180 Class

Public land scares me. If I were to some how lose the rights to hunting the land I hunt now, I think I'd hang it up before going to public land. Now, this is just my opinion. The thought of someone being within 100yds of me while hunting and the possibility of them not knowing I'm there.... makes my skin crawl.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default I also live and hunt in Minnesota...

The DNR will clarify any questions you have but it is basically common sense. You are not allowed to build permanent hunting stands on public land. People do it and I have found ones made of pressure treated wood with roofs above the platform areas. One person even had a nice and comfortable lazy boy 16ft up with a great view of the ridge he was on. If you find one of these empty it is fair game, but I personally wouldn't want to get in a fight over it. I think the DNR will remove these if they come accross them. I agree that most hunters don't like to go back deeper than 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the major access trails. We always go atleast 1/2 mile in for that reason. The problem is some areas have atv trails that allow hunters to get far in without actually having to walk. They miss all the fun of walking back in without light, and the joy of dragging a Deer for several miles.

Karl
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM
B&C 100 Class

Best advice for public land hunting is get in early! Get in deep and wait for others to move deer. Pack a lunch and a pee bottle and stay for the entire day. Most guys in NY come in when there is enough light to see. Also they come in and out for lunch. I sit tight all day on public land and let them drive the deer!!