Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   Weekend #2 (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/10183-weekend-2-a.html)

semohunter 11-15-2012 03:03 PM

Weekend #2

I'm getting pumped about the 2nd weekend of deer season. I am headed out to Ellsinore,Mo with a buddy who owns 80 acres of woods. Bucks should be out stirring around after them does. Ready to put a big buck down!!:yes:

homegrown671 11-15-2012 08:13 PM

Week 2

Good luck buddy.80 acres should be plenty of greats spots to hunt from.

bigevil1 11-16-2012 02:15 AM

good luck and be safe. i'll be in fredericktown mo doing the same!

Kansasdoe 11-16-2012 07:50 AM

Good luck and have fun.

NYHunter 11-16-2012 08:27 AM

NY Gun opener tomorrow. New regs. Bucks need 3 points on one side. I will be dropping a doe as the bucks are far and few between. Farms all ceased to operate and so did the deer. Not sure what the DEC is thinking.:rolleyes:

tator 11-16-2012 08:34 AM

Good luck to everyone- you two Missourians- good luck to you as well! I'm excited about this weekend as well- won't be able to hunt as long both days, but will be able to get plenty of time in. Have the day off Monday so It's time to get a BIG BUCK DOWN

bigevil1 11-16-2012 12:16 PM

ny about 2/3 of mo has 4 point rule. i hear it is doing well. people are killing larger antlered deer. my county doesnt have it yet but myself a neighbors surrounding = about 1000 acres have agreed to do it the last 3 years. seen lots of trail cam pics of very nice bucks, more than in years past. wish these big boys would come out and play when the sun is up! lol good luck and b safe

3212 11-17-2012 12:00 PM

PA had a 3" spike minimum for decades.We went to 3 pts on one side in the eastern 2/3rds of the state and 4 pts per one side in the west end.It took a few years of lower buck kills in my area but now we're getting big ones,although fewer total kills than 10 yrs ago.I got my personal best 2 yrs ago,a broken antlered 9 pt.If the left side would have matched the right he would have been an 11 pointer.There were 3 large sticker points around the bases.

Hunting Man 11-17-2012 12:52 PM

another big reason we're seeing bigger bucks is license sales continue to drop. This year we didn't see a single archery hunter anywhere. For the last few years we barely see any does. The doe tag sales have reduced the deer herd big time. We still see low grade bucks with big bodies, indicating either bad genes or poor nutrition. My opinion, PA went too far in reducing doe numbers. If we see 2.5 year old bucks with a single spike, set of spikes, 3 pt what good is the 3 or 4 on one side do for hunters, those bucks probably will never carry a legal set of antlers then just pass along bad genes. I hunt Clearfield county just to give an idea of location. Clearfield use to top the kill list every year now it's pretty far down the list last time I looked. Late season flintlock, we never see another hunter either. 39 hunting seasons in PA and I do not like the 3 point requirement. Now they have another requirement in some areas the brow tine doesn't count so you need 3 main points to be legal. Soon you'll need a calculator to determine whether to shoot or not. If they go to a spread requirement I'm done in PA.

3212 11-17-2012 02:08 PM

There is always controversy about deer management here.I believe the game commission could do a little better at antler rules for different areas.Where I hunt the the deer do have the potential for large antlers.Its about 50% farmland,50% wooded ridges with plenty of water.