Deer Hunting Forums banner

got my reloads ready

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  sdwolfden 
#1 ·
Just got done reloading my bullets for the different hunting seasons. I have 125 grain bullets for pronghorn, 150 and 174 grain bulets for deer. Now just have to wait for opening day. By the way I am shooting a sporterized Lee-Enfield British .303.

#3 ·
Have resighted last year after switching from light to heavy, but from the experience gained when we did it, I can switch ammo with no noticeable difference. My gun and scope work great. We went to the range to sight our rifles after the long period of hunting inactivity and no matter what load I shot, I hit the kill zone. My boyfriend even calls me "deadeye".............lol

#4 ·
Well, well, miss "deadeye" LOL

I hope you don't mind me asking but why choose 3 different bullet weights when the 150grain bullet is adequate for both antelope and deer?

#6 ·
Well, well, miss "deadeye" LOL

I hope you don't mind me asking but why choose 3 different bullet weights when the 150grain bullet is adequate for both antelope and deer?
125 grain bullets have flatter trajectory and the distances on the ranch we hunt are deceiving. We had luck with the 150 grain bullets if the pronghorn were closer, but with the 125 grain bullets they can be further away. When we started reloading, we got as much info as we could, and what we found out was that many people use different loads for different animals. the 125 and 150 grain bullets can be used for pronghorn or deer, the 174 grain bullets are for use in underbrush and could be used for elk as well. In the .303 caliber you can also get 215 grain bullets for moose and caribou.

#5 ·
My Rem mountain rifle will shoot about 1" low when switching from 130 to 150 gr, I was wondering if you saw a similar drop. The mountain rifle has a very slim light weight barrel that might be some of the issue and the extra bullet speed when going to a lighter bullet??? Just a quirky thing maybe.

#10 ·
For our .303 Lee Enfield rifles(mine is sporteized and my boyfriend's is full military dated 1944) we use winchester or remington brass, 125 gr sierra pro hunter with 43 grains of IMR 4064, 150 gr sierra pro hunter with 43.2 grains of IMR 4064 and 174 gr Hornady with 40.6 grains of IMR 4064. They work really well and I love making them. I love my .303 and my boyfriend loves his dream gun(he's wanted on since he was in his teens). They are great hunting guns.

#9 ·
I actually just bought it a week ago at Cabela's...it was looking lonely and it was only $100 so I thought I would give it a home. I've only taken it out to 50 yards so far. With Prvi Partizan factory ammo it gets about a 2" group at 50 yards with open sights and with my reloads it gets about 1.5" group at 50. (this was in on a windy day and not off a stable bench, the rifle can do much better than this for sure) The factory loads shoot right on but my reloads shoot about 5" high, and I don't have any more adjustment to make it go any lower...not sure why that is. Lee Enfields make great hunting rifles (especially the sporterized ones) The open sights are nice, the trigger is only about 6 lbs and its a 2 stage, the safety is just a lever that you flip forward for fire and back for safe. The bolt is really fast as well, faster than any other bolt rifle that I have used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.