Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Reloading (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/reloading/)
-   -   question for the reloader's (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/reloading/5892-question-reloaders.html)

bentwig 06-19-2010 06:57 PM

question for the reloader's

what formula would you use to reload for a .308. my son-inlaw will be doing all my reloading and he suggested the hrn amax 168gr. i do not know what powder he plans on using. he also will be reloading a .243 i picked up real cheap the other day he suggested the hrn 95gr sst. what would you guys load these with, for target & hunting, what i use at the range is what i plan to use for hunting. and as for primers - large rifle or large magnum rifle and what brand ? what powder seems to work best for these two caliber's ? and by the way i put the redfield 4x12-40mm on the .308. thanks for suggestion on scope, i like it. thanks for your input.:mellow:
jack

ronn 06-19-2010 07:21 PM

Are you fighting in

Are you fighting in Final Fantasy XIV for or Final Fantasy XIV Gil?Can you sueffr yourself being called newbie in FFXIV Gil game?Are you seeking unofficial cheats or Final Fantasy XIV guides in order to make Final Fantasy XIV Gil faster?Can you get millions of in one day?Even if you know how to farm you have to prepare enough Final Fantasy XIV Power Leveling first to buy height class Final Fantasy XIV Items, to upgrade your Final Fantasy XIV characters. Then why not Buy FFXIV Gil from us?In Final Fantasy XIV it's the fastest way FF14 Gil,for you to get rich. We are online 24 hours a day ready and 7 days one week to power up your FFXIV Gil accounts with . Here is the best place for the Final Fantasy XIV Online players to buy your .We are the professional website in FFXIV GIL sale.FFXIV GIL here,We are professional FFXIV Power Leveling online. We update price every single day to make sure we are the lowest in the market.(we don't compare price with scam sites which uses unbelievable low price to deceive.)Our slogan:Cheapest price, Fastest delivery, Best service! In the 2 years we are in this field , built many business with tens of thousands of customers. They are very satisfied with our service.So if you want to get a log of Cheap FFXIV Gil ,no doubt ,come to our website to buy. Our customer service is ready for you on line now!(WWW,GM MMO,COM Sell FFXIV Gil)

Predator 06-19-2010 08:53 PM

What ever you decide to use dosent really matter at the range, but you never specified what you intended to hunt and that is where specific bullet style, weight and powder / primer combinations will be more important.

If your son in law has reloaded in the past, and I am assumeing he has, he should have several reloading manuals with recommended starting loads for the calibers you mentioned. take into account the closest load to the FPS you want to achieve and work from there.

bentwig 06-19-2010 09:28 PM

plan on hunting white tail, and do some hog hunting down here in texas. yes he has been reloading his own for 10yrs or more just wanted to know what every one else was using and if there was one formula that is most commonly used like brand of bullet grn , powder , primer brand ect- for these two calibers.:coffee:

jack

onehorse 06-20-2010 09:00 AM

You can get lots of handloading recipes right off the internet. Hodgdon and Ramshot give lots of loading data, as do most of the powder makers. The bullet makers are stingy with these as they all want you to but their manuals. Do not use magnum primers for the .243 or .308. Those primers are for loads with large amounts of powder like the name suggests, and neither of those calibers warrants magnum primers. I'd also suggest you use powders that are not temperature sensitive so if you practice at the range all summer long in 80-90 degree temps, but hunt in much colder situations during the fall, your loads will maintain the same point of impact. I've been having good results with Hunter by Ramshot, and I believe that H4350 is also not effected by temperature. There are others, and you can get this info from the powder makers websites. Good luck!

bentwig 06-21-2010 02:29 AM

thanks onehorse thats the sort of info im looking for. somthing like tempiture sensitive powders could ruin a deer season, any recomendations bullet type and grn.

onehorse 06-21-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bentwig (Post 42100)
thanks onehorse thats the sort of info im looking for. somthing like tempiture sensitive powders could ruin a deer season, any recomendations bullet type and grn.

All the name brand bullets are good. For deer only, I've had great results from the Nosler Ballistic Tip. It's a real killer! In the .308, 150 grains should be perfect. For a wider range of game, where larger animals may be hunted, the 165 gr. bullets have always been the way to go in the 30 cal. range ammo.

guppy11 06-21-2010 08:01 PM

I'd be concerned with using the 168gr amax to hunt with. this is a target bullet and although there are people who use it to hunt with even the manufacture doesn't recommend it because of its construction.

Karl.Luhr 06-28-2010 08:33 PM

Notes on reloading the 308 and 243

A couple of things that came to mind on your post. I personally would buy a single ball powder that is designed for the midsize 308 cases. Each powder company makes there favorite 308 class powder. I personally have had good luck with Win 760 in my 3006s so I would try Win 748 with loading data straight from the manual. I agree that using a AMAX bullet on anything but paper or possibly a prairie dog is a mistake. With midsize cases don't worry about using anything but standard large rifle primers. Don't try to squeeze that last 50fps out of a load. Find one that shoots well in the rifle without signs of high pressure and just load up a bunch and shoot......

Karl

Rozman62 07-03-2010 08:03 AM

Try Varget for the .308 with CCI 200 primer and 165 Hornady SST or Sierra Game King or Prohunters. Amax is a very accurate match grade bullet but will not hold up to bone very well.

Powders:
Varget has become my favorite all around powder. It seems to work well in anything however if you are after velocity the there are better powders to use. I use Varget in 4 different loads. Varget and IMR-4064 have equivelent burn rates. I now use H4350 in my 30-06 with the 165g SST but Varget/IMR-4064 are also very good. Finding the powder that gets you to the velocity that your barrel like is key. (harmonic node) This is where having a chrono helps. Your bullet choice is secondary to this in regards to accuracy. These days there really isn't a bad bullet made.

Bullets:
30 cal-Sierra GK,Prohunter, SST, Accubonds, BT's all in 165gr work great.