Seating Depths/Accuracy - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Reloading
Reloading Discuss Bullets, Powders, Pellets, Brass, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Seating Depths/Accuracy

Anyone tinker around with various seating depths in regards to accuracy results? In working up optimum accurate loads it is imperitive to understand how far off the lands your bullet sits. Every rifle has different freebore so finding the right OAL is fun stuff. I have yet to do this with my 25-06 but look forward to creating this marriage between bullet/rifle.

The correct seating depth is the single fastest way to getting better groups followed by good brass prep and accurate/safe powder charges. I have lots more to learn about reloading and doing alot of research right now. I am currently working with a bench shooter who gets .25" groups from a starting point of 1.25" @ 100 yards with a 7mm mag. It's amazing at all the attention to detail needed to yield results.

I plan on reloading more for recreational and economic reasons than competition shooting. I will do all the fun work to find the right loads using various powders, bullets, OAL, etc. If I can consistently shoot under MOA then I am satisfied. You hit a point where you find the right load and now it's your shooting skills that make the diff. All guns are capable of shooting more accuratly than the shooter assuming the rifling is not shot out or the bore is neglected.

I welcome any reloading advise that anyone has to offer.